Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by MCH02 View post
I think it would be really cool to put together a hunt this fall.

Hi - SW suburbs checking in. Do you have any locations in mind? I've been wondering if permission could ever be gotten to hunt the old Flying Cloud drive-in theater; at least the part that isn't already a landfill. Do you have any places in mind?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Im in the western suburbs, probably not far from you. I do have a couple ideas. I've always wondered about the Island on lake waconia. It was a resort, with cabins, stores, ballrooms, etc, in the 30's , still some buildings standing, but I know its privately owned now, and not sure by who. Other than that, Ive only got your normal parks, schools, etc.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Duluth here... if in the area I have a decent list of places that produce goodies... also willing to travel to the "cities" for a hunt...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

Welcome to the forum Artur! Nice to see more and more Minnesota people joining the forum. How long have you been detecting? I have detected in Duluth a couple times but never made any really good finds at the parks I have been to but the area definately has a lot of potential.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Hello,

Well I've been at it for about 12 years now, though since I was in the military for 9 of it I've detected all around the US. Duluth can be a tough place, but there are still very good areas a bit outside of town that produce some nice keepers. Many of the parks and schools here have had a lot of dirt fill put in place burying the older stuff... so I know how that can be. The entire east end of town here is great if you can get permission to detect on some of the private properties.

-Art in Duluth

Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Well there are definately a ton of private residences up there that would be excellent to hunt. I couldn't imagine getting permission at some of the larger mansions along the lake. I may be headed up that way in a couple weekends (Aug 23-24) but it is still up in the air.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 AM

Yes, places like Glensheen manor are probably a long shot, but I have in the past gotten permission to hunt some of the older brick homes along Superior street, and the ones up the shore.

If you decide to visit Duluth, I would recommend detecting East High School... There is some trash to contend with, but from the finds I've gotten there the school hasn't been hit all that hard. The school was built in the mid 1920's and the property which it is on has been used as a park/lot since the late 1880's.

I'm very open to sharing sites which I know still produce good coins.

-Art

Old 08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

Art check your private messages.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMN View post
I am not free this weekend but I think some weekend this fall we should try and get as many people as possible from the area together and hunt some park that is within reasonable distance for all of us. Sounds like there are at least five or six of us that live within the twin cities metro area that could make the drive. Just a thought.
Lets plan it folks! Who, when, where?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artur C. View post
I'm very open to sharing sites which I know still produce good coins.

-Art
And I'm still very interested in finding my first "Good" coin! LOL "not joking".

Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ziva2006 View post
Lets plan it folks! Who, when, where?

I agree, Lets plan something. I would be willing to help organise, but I really dont have any real decent spots. Im new to this hobby and am dying to get out and around some people with more experience to show me what I am doing wrong.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by MCH02 View post
I agree, Lets plan something. I would be willing to help organise, but I really dont have any real decent spots. Im new to this hobby and am dying to get out and around some people with more experience to show me what I am doing wrong.
Where in the western suburbs? I live in Brooklyn Park, and work in Maple Grove, but still open for a little travel. Shoot me a PM and lets see if we can connect or maybe plan something...

Adam

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM

I would be willing to spare some gas to get out also, though not familiar with any good spots in the twin cities area. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm familiar with the Duluth area and the north shore of Lake Superior, have some good spots, but I'm willing to travel a little ways.

BTW... you will find your first "keeper" soon enough, and once you do you will be hooked.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

Well I am ready to start planning something but will need some help with coming up with a good size park with at least some potential. I don't hunt toward the cities at all so I am not going to be the one with any good spots down that way. I am open to suggestions and will start doing some research to see what I can come up with. I think our best bet would be to find a place in one of the burbs that is an older park. Lets start brain storming and see what our options are.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 PM

http://http://www.mpls.lib.mn.us/history/cg4.asp

This may be a good place to start.

-Art

Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 PM

http://www.mpls.lib.mn.us/history/cg4.asp

THIS LINK WORKS!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Default SteveMN

You have mail

Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM

That would be a definite start... Thanks!
Has anyone TH'd the area yet? Or know if anyone has been asked not to TH there in the past? If not, then I guess a time has to be planned... Or the possibility for any other ideas for sites?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Ok, sorry for two posts in a row, but I was thinking... (imagine that!)

I have another hobby of Geocaching, when a group of us wanted to hunt an area all together we would normally meet at a predetermined place like a perkins or dennys or coffe shop etc... bringing with the info on places, along with maps and stuff. I found that once everyone was together in one place and not replying via an email here and there the Brainstorming went a lot quicker and more efficient.
So.. I guess main question is anyone willing to at the very least, meet for some brainstorming, maybe coffee...?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Smile Looking for a hunting partner...

Hey guys hope the cool weather isn't keeping you in. I'm a cheese head whose in the navy stationed in San Antonio, TX. I am making a trip to visit family in Hastings and will be bringing my ACE. I'll be in town tomorrow afternoon (21 Oct). I am looking for someone who might want to get out do some swingin. I will be available Wed-Fri mornings sunrise to about noonish. I have a couple of places lined up I would like to go and will readily accept any suggestions.
If anyone is interested hit me up with a PM till noon on the 24th.