wow...I really do not like the Garrett Digger

Tikirob1

Hello,

I new, so I set my self up with all the equipment a newbie needs. Got a good Relic Bag, Headphone, Detector and a Digger. It had good ratings so I got it. It was really hard to use. I saw in videos that folks could cut plugs like butter (or close to). The Garrett feel nice but it so dull. I sharpened it and it helped but still and the handle end is not very robust. Is it the general shape, I'm not sure? I just got the Whites Digmaster...and it cuts circles around the Garrett (pun intended).

What's your experience? What's your dagger of choice?

I traded off my two Lesches in a deal . I thought I could replace them with a cheap Hori-Hori Chinese copy ( not the original ) , I didn't know it was from there until I got it :( .The thing did not fit the bill so I ordered a new Predator 85(O) . I'm a happy camper once again .:grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1127 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1127 (640x480).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 707
Hello,

I new, so I set my self up with all the equipment a newbie needs. Got a good Relic Bag, Headphone, Detector and a Digger. It had good ratings so I got it. It was really hard to use. I saw in videos that folks could cut plugs like butter (or close to). The Garrett feel nice but it so dull. I sharpened it and it helped but still and the handle end is not very robust. Is it the general shape, I'm not sure? I just got the Whites Digmaster...and it cuts circles around the Garrett (pun intended).

What's your experience? What's your dagger of choice?

Same experience here, first one I bought was the Garrett and in less than 1 season it was bent in half. I then got a Deteknics Diamond digger, It's a good digger, very sharp and I still have it but I now use the White's digmaster too.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

Same experience here, first one I bought was the Garrett and in less than 1 season it was bent in half. I then got a Deteknics Diamond digger, It's a good digger, very sharp and I still have it but I now use the White's digmaster too.

View attachment 420645

View attachment 420646

That's exactly how my Lesche would have looked, had I continued to use it, if not broken in half. It was used a handful of times. Not a digger which impressed me in the least.

I used my 3-in-1 knife for about forty years. It is about as close to a Hori-Hori knife as you can get. I never once felt like it could bend or break and that includes actually pounding it into rock hard ground. I have dug through rocks and even bricks without hurting it. I finally retired it for a new Hori-Hori knife because it was about an inch or more shorter from sharpening over the years. I had added padding to make it easier to use in the hard ground. The old one is on the left. They were both about the same size when I started.
Diggers2.jpg

OK...first weekend with the Whites Digmaster...I am amazed. got to my targets quickly with little hand fatigue. It makes this hobby even more of a pleasure and less work. My MX Sport is killing it too...I must be figuring it out.

+ 1
For a hand digger, it goes through roots very, very well. The holster it comes with is just as tough.
Mine is slightly tattered on the sides from the serrations in the blade but it is still holding up. CJayC on here did a hack though where he made a guard insert out of a plastic peachie folder to protect the black cloth. I wish the holster were a bit more durable and stiffer than it currently is, but it still hangs on my belt so far, and my digmaster is always there for me.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

Lesche.. Need I say more? :cool:

Not at all. For hand diggers, Lesche is king, in my mind.

I had the Garrett digger, and hated it. Lesche cut like budda and was much easier to use. Never turned back.

Any of the Lesche/Predator Tools for larger diggers are highly recommended, too.

This digger will work circles around a Lesche.....and it's a Garrett :lol:

picture.php

Yep , its a good digger. Lots of them made under different names/manufacturers but similar design are just as good. Their convex shape makes them strong enough to hold up to anything you can throw at them. And they normally cost under $20.

Yep , its a good digger. Lots of them made under different names/manufacturers but similar design are just as good. Their convex shape makes them strong enough to hold up to anything you can throw at them. And they normally cost under $20.

But no ability to cut sod, which means you're having to do a press down each time. No thanks... I'm sure it's find for pushing in once and popping up with strength, but I like to cut a U shape flap. Not going to happen with a digger like this.

My experience with the Garrett digger, is the same as the OP. it bent within a month. I was NOT impressed. I'm on my second Lesche, because I like to sharpen them on the bench grinder, and eventually, they get a little thin. LOL

Never had a "bend" problem with the Lesche. And the flat plate on top allows a two handed dig approach, which is much less fatiguing.

Skippy.

But no ability to cut sod, which means you're having to do a press down each time. No thanks... I'm sure it's find for pushing in once and popping up with strength, but I like to cut a U shape flap. Not going to happen with a digger like this.

My experience with the Garrett digger, is the same as the OP. it bent within a month. I was NOT impressed. I'm on my second Lesche, because I like to sharpen them on the bench grinder, and eventually, they get a little thin. LOL

Never had a "bend" problem with the Lesche. And the flat plate on top allows a two handed dig approach, which is much less fatiguing.

Skippy.

BS, tell you what, I'll post a video of my Lesche bending-over with very little effort, if you'll send me a money order for retail cost of it. Matter of fact, I'll do it using 2 fingers.

Double the cost, and I'll double the blade over on the Lesche.

Deal?

Back
Top Bottom