Thanks coinstar!

crusader234

Elite Member
Going on an impromptu road trip to Florida on Saturday so i dug out my clad from the boot of my car to use for tolls.
So im feeding my bag of clad into the jaws of the coinstar machine when i hear a dink dink from the return tray. A 1964 Rosie! Can only put it down to assuming the recent drop shiny surface finds must be clad and not checking as i tip my clad and trash in the trunk and forget about it. I found a war nickel in the trunk last time, not the tidiest person :lol:
Delayed silver high :grin::grin::grin:

Attachments

• coinstar-find.jpg
    coinstar-find.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 561
Yeah, those machines will kick out a lot of good stuff.

A silver Rosie weighs different than a post 1964, so out it goes! LOL

Nice score.

I watched a guy open one, after my coins got stuck, and saw what I believe was a Morgan dollar, a standing liberty and some more silver in the junk tray on the inside of the machine. My eyes got huge. I asked if I could have what was in the tray and he told me no.

Nice coin star save. What it was doing in the middle of a field, I may never know (I jest. I jsut have no photo shop skills so I poke fun as a defense mechanism for my ineptness;)

Making money while spending money.

Good fined.

There used to be an Elderly woman who paid part of her bills with 50 cent & dollar coins. I would buy them back.

I don't know if this is true or not, but something I heard from someone who works in the banking system. Apparently they have made the Coinstar machines now so that it doesn't return the coins it doesn't like, but keeps them on the inside such as Tilton said. This means it sorts coin, assumed by size and weight and what does not fit the clad profile, it sorts as "junk" including your silver coins and no credit is given as it thinks your coin is not of value. Might be Tilton saw silver in the tray on the inside. Again, this is hearsay until it is proven correct, but I wouldn't doubt for a minute they could make this happen. Never understood Coinstar anyway unless getting a non-fee gift card of some sort. Why pay 10% to count your money? The banks do it for free.

I don't know if this is true or not, but something I heard from someone who works in the banking system. Apparently they have made the Coinstar machines now so that it doesn't return the coins it doesn't like, but keeps them on the inside such as Tilton said. This means it sorts coin, assumed by size and weight and what does not fit the clad profile, it sorts as "junk" including your silver coins and no credit is given as it thinks your coin is not of value. Might be Tilton saw silver in the tray on the inside. Again, this is hearsay until it is proven correct, but I wouldn't doubt for a minute they could make this happen. Never understood Coinstar anyway unless getting a non-fee gift card of some sort. Why pay 10% to count your money? The banks do it for free.

I only did it because my coins weren't tumbled or anything. Just cleaned up the best I could by shaking soapy water with the coins in a pickle jar. So they were still a little dirty and ugly. Too dirty for the coinstar too. He had to call the number on the machine to figure out how to open and clean the sensors. This was at Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom