2009 5th Annual Fort Donelson Relics Coin & Relic Hunt Nov. 7th!!

fortdonelsonrelics

5th Annual Fort Donelson Relic Hunt
Date : November 7th 2009
Where: Dover, TN about 2 hours west of Nashville
Entry fee: 115.00 before Sept. 30th
150.00 after Oct 1st

Hunt is limited to 175 people. This is a seeded hunt with over 12,000 relics being buried on 2, 10 acre fields. Items being buried include but not limited to: dropped and fired bullets, buttons, camp items, brass, artillery fragments, coins, spurs, US boxplates and breastplates. We will be burying complete artillery shells (disarmed of course) again this year. Last year we buried 8! Plus any items not found in the ground from last November's hunt. Over 50 prize tokens will be buried along with MANY free giveaways. Spots are already filling fast! We will also offer a free dinner the night before the hunt from 5:00 pm till ? at the sign in location for the hunters and their families. Last year we had a chili dinner which was great with over 125 attending. The fee’s above include a lunch provided by the Historical Society of Dover that is prepared on site. $10 of everyone’s fee is given to the Society for the lunch. There's not many open hunts like this around anymore so come and see what everyone has been talking about!
Check out our website at www.fortdonelsonrelics.com for more information.

The average number of relics found by hunters at last year's hunt was 80-120, depending on how you hustle when you hunt. This is a competition hunt for most, but many people enjoy just coming out, taking their time diggin, and visiting with other diggers who enjoy their hobby as well. The hunt site is located in the country, about 15 miles from the sign in location in Dover, and is on over 1,000 acres of beautiful woodlands. That time of year, the leaves have changed, the weather is goregous, and it's an awesome time to be out in the grass digging.

The last four years of having the hunt, hunters have found items that we did not bury, that were native to the site. Ohio troops camped on this property on their way from Ft. Donelson to Clarksville because of the beautiful blue spring located on the property. There was even an iron furnace that the soldiers supposedly took a cannon to and destroy. One hunter found a soldiers brass ring in the parking area the first year, another hunter found a beautiful arrowhead in a worn dirt filled area. You never know.

Check out our website soon for the prize list and let us know if you have any questions regarding the hunt.

Thanks for looking!! Nikki Walsh, Ft. Donelson Relics

I understand, but....

I understand what you are saying, and to each his own, but this type of event allows folks to dig these items that would normally not have the opportunity to get out and dig civil war relics up. Heck, many folks will never dig up an artillery shell but at our hunt they have a chance of digging one up and having the thrill of seeing one come out of the ground, not to mention, owning a $200-$400 shell. Plus we give away detectors, display cabinets, pinpointers, digging tools just to mention a few. It's also a chance for people to get out and dig with other folks that enjoy the same thing. It's on a beautiful farm with a bubbling blue spring and woods and fescue fields that go on and on. It's not for everyone I guess, but for a change, it's fun to dig a signal every 3 feet and feel the thrill of wondering what it is. Thank you, Nikki Walsh

Isn't that the point of any hunt? Paying to dig up seeded items doesn't sound too exciting or a challenge to me. I understand the need for fund raising, but...

Don't knock it until you try it. I use to feel the same way but then quickly realized that these hunts are not about bragging rites or proving yourself in anyway.
I went last year and looked at it as a way to hang out with like minded people,shoot the breeze and just an excuse to get out of the house for a whole weekend. and as an added bonus I found enough stuff that I more than paid for my whole trip plus entry fees.
plus I got to meet some great people from all over. and not to mention some of the cool prizes that I won.
I was really looking forward to attending this years hunt but unfortunatly I will not be able to:( hopefully next year.

forgot to mention. if anyone is ever in the Dover TN area stop in at Fort donelson relics! it is an awesome place,they have alot of very neat relics in the store. also check out Fort Donelson national battlefield!

I have a question if I sign up now and say only 100 spots get sold does that mean less relics would be buried?

If it's to promote social interaction with other MD'ers...that's ok with me

Sort of like the big fish tank at the spring boat shows, and a somebody yells out "Look at me, I caught a 6 pounder!:roll:

we will bury 12,000 relic regardless of hunters attendence

We will bury the guaranteed 12,000 relics that we advertise, even if there are 100 folks signed up. We have had over 150 hunters over the last three years, just to give you an idea of the attendance. Thanks for asking....good question! I would want to know that as well.

Nikki Walsh

Ok sounds good. I signed up.

Looking forward to hunting with you guys.

Anyone else going from the forum?

Sort of like the big fish tank at the spring boat shows, and a somebody yells out "Look at me, I caught a 6 pounder!:roll:

I used to think that way, until I tried it...it's fun. It's also a good way to get used to you tones. I'm having trouble with one of my detectors now, but silver hunting with my DFX was really fun last year.

relic hunt update

We currently have 24 slots open (151 total have registered) for this year's hunt. We are still burying the total 12,000 relics so the ratio of relics to hunters is very great!! If you are thinking of coming, you can contact us this week either via phone at 931-801-4530 or by email at [email protected]. We have 48 large item tokens being buried and over 150 free giveaways such as shirts, digging tools, etc. Below are pictures of our top prizes and a list of some of our other giveaways. Please contact me with any quesitons. Thanks!!

Nikki Walsh

Attachments

• bury1.jpg
    bury1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 511
  • bury2.jpg
    bury2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 500
  • DSC05378.JPG
    DSC05378.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC05379.JPG