• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

value of scrap

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Cashed in some cans today and they were .60 a lb. Took 5 car batteries in and they were 9.00 ea!

Seems it might be worthwhile to save all the pull tabs and have started dropping them in a coffee can when i got home. Anybody else save em?

Also, all the other non ferrous chunks of metal might be worth saving, but how would you tell for sure what they were made of? I imagine the metals could be mixes of different thing, copper, zinc, tin, brass, so how would you know if it's pure in order to sort it correctly?

Penny

I've got my pull tabs ...

May give them to the store which collects them for something. All other dug stuff goes into a big jug and when it's full I sort it best I can. The scrap dealer let's me know of anything out of place. Too many small pieces mixed in where they shouldn't be ? That equals a lower $$ value per pound. Works for me !
Great deal on the batteries !! So far the best I've done is being able to recycle them for free.
Marty

Junk

I'm setting up some boxes in our shed. I've collected cans on a regular basis but we are only seeing $.40/lb right now. My guess the closer you get to a larger city the higher the price/lb.

I've been finding brass on a regular basis and there is a gun range not too far from my house. It is a local community place and there is all types of brass there. Pick it up keep what I can resell to those who reload and sell as junk metal to someone paying money.

I'm like you as well - going to start putting all those stinking pull tabs in a coffee can and when it is full find someone who is collecting them and let them have them.

Might pay for a pack of batteries by the end of the summer.

KC

I save all my cans as long as their not really rusty( brang them once to the scrap yard like that and they wouldn't take them.:lol:) They go for about $0.40 lb here too. As for knowing what is in the non ferrous stuff I don't really know.:lol: The scrap yard I go to sorts the stuff for you so thats one step I don't have to do. The way I look at it is, when you find a can/metal its kind of like finding a few pennies.

This isn't a big city, but a second recycling place recently opened. Maybe the competition is why they're paying top price for the metal.

I ran across a guy at the ball park that was going around to the trash cans and picking out the aluminum. He wasn't dressed so nice, looked a little scruffy, but to my surprise, he was driving a nice, newer model truck. He said he was able to pay for the trucks entirely with the cans. I found that hard to believe...he'd have to visit a lot of ballfields, spend all his time collecting cans. But who knows.

Actually, if he got 20 lbs a day @ .60 and multiplied by 30 days it would be 360.00 a month. I haven't bought a new vehicle lately, so i dont' know if that'd be enough for a payment or not. Regardless, it take some work to collect 20 lbs a day.

Penny

pplinker, I believe those tabs can be turned into your local American Legion post for their "Tabs For Tots" program. The post I am a member of here in Southeast Michigan collects them and turns them in for cash to help fund needed medical equipment to benefit children in the local hospitals. They need as many as they can get because it takes thousands of tabs just to make a pound of aluminum.

Might be a win-win for all involved. You can get rid of your tabs and benefit sick/injured children at the same time.

Ed

That sounds like a great idea. We have a post here in Ennis. I will check with them to see if they participate in that program.

Back
Top Bottom