What Kind of Key is this?

Roaming4Relics

Hello. I was detecting an 1880s landing/dock site yesterday and found this brass key at low tide. Does anyone know what it was used for and the age? As you can see from the pic it’s marked 1 1/2 at the top. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 5CAF72EC-8359-461F-8106-C20D513EC6B2.jpg
    5CAF72EC-8359-461F-8106-C20D513EC6B2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 308
Yes it measures an 1.5 inches from tip to tip. The tips are round which throws me off. I found some clock parts nearby but I’ve never seen a clock key like that. You may be on to something. Thanks

I wonder if that's a type of recording key for night watchmen? I've done that for a short time in my life. Make your rounds in a building, carrying a sort-of "clock", then insert a key at specific places in the building, turn it one rotation, and it punches a time-recording tape in the clock. Proves you did the duty like you were supposed to.

Roger

Looks like a spanner wrench to me as well. On boats and ships, anything that is mounted on the deck will have a flush mount cap. Fuel fill, fresh water fill etc. They can't have handle sticking up or guys would be getting tripped up all the time, catching on ropes or lines etc. Hence, the flush mount cap with recessed holes to turn it in or out. Still use them today.

Looks like a spanner wrench to me as well. On boats and ships, anything that is mounted on the deck will have a flush mount cap. Fuel fill, fresh water fill etc. They can't have handle sticking up or guys would be getting tripped up all the time, catching on ropes or lines etc. Hence, the flush mount cap with recessed holes to turn it in or out. Still use them today.

Yep, we had one just like this on our boat in the 1970s.

Back
Top Bottom