BH Pioneer 101

Swepty

Totally new to MDing. I planned on purchasing a Garrett detector this weekend and probably will do that anyway, but I wanted to get your opinions on something.

I've been talking about MDing at work for weeks now and a coworker today walked in with his Wal-Mart bought BH Pioneer 101 that he uses to detect his pins on his property. He said I could have it and to enjoy myself.

Ok, obviously this model is not the top of the line, but we plan on going to Florida at the end of the month and was wondering if this detector will work ok on Sand, no Water , just sand.

From what I've read on this forum this detector is harder to pin point items with. I read a couple of you talk about "Xing" also?

I guess two questions:

1) Will this detector work at the beach on sand only.

2) What is Xing?

Yes it will work on the dry sand. As you get closer to the salt water, it might give you false readings due to the black sand. X'ing is the practice of putting your machine in the all metal mode, going over the target in one direction till you get the loudest response, and then going across the target 90 degrees out till you get the strongest signal in that direction. Where the two points that are the stongest intersect, that should be the pinpoint of the target.

That machine will find stuff in the dry sand to about 6" for sure. It will definitely go crazy with any salt water moisture and will be unuseable. My wife bought me a R.Shack Discovery 1000 (same model) that was pretty much unuseable about 50% of the time in any high mineralization. She nor I knew much about detectors. I did have a blast at the beach once a year on our vacation. It was enough to keep me interested, and I eventually discovered this forum, learned from my collegues, and bought a 1st class machine. I'm really havin a ball now!!! I still have my 1000, it has a value of enlightenment. I bought the wife an Ace 250 for Xmas, and a nephew another Ace 250. It all started with my "priceless" Discovery 1000.

Dry sand is easy to scoop and I just punched small holes in a scoop I used for dog food. I could find most stuff in one or two scoops. Once I got a bunch of beeps and scooped and had over 2 dollars of change in one scoop.

Back
Top Bottom