Attn all Detector Manufacturers

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
If a detector manufacturer's representative indeed reads this post.

IMO,, detector manufacturers,, need to set a standard of providing detector programming version ID,,, where it is easily accessible on detectors that provide screen information to user.

Doing this will minimize confusion, tell folks indeed what they have program wise, will help them talk about their units, sell their units, etc

Even other internal changes, modifications done by the factory,, that later after initial release that affect detector operation,,, this too should call for a new version ID.

Granted many times no updates or modifications will ever be done on some models of detectors,,, but in the event changes are needed to be made after a manufacturer officially releases a detector---- these changes can be readily recognized by the ID shown.

I am seeing too much confusion on recent models of detectors,, where changes have been made-- but it seems a user or buyer have no real way to tell by looking at the unit to recognize what version it really is.

This standard if adopted,,, I think too,, can even help the manufacturer down the road in resolving issues with customers.

And I would fully expect manufacturers to keep their websites up to date with latest version ID (or ID versions that are applicable to proper detector performance) per detector model. So folks understand here,, a new version ID maybe necessitated just because of componet change or replacement by a vendor. But a list of all correct performing versions will do.

Is there a particular model that you are concerned about? Some Minelab and XP Deus are able to be updated to the latest version online.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If a detector manufacturer's representative indeed reads this post.

IMO,, detector manufacturers,, need to set a standard of providing detector programming version ID,,, where it is easily accessible on detectors that provide screen information to user.

Doing this will minimize confusion, tell folks indeed what they have program wise, will help them talk about their units, sell their units, etc

Even other internal changes, modifications done by the factory,, that later after initial release that affect detector operation,,, this too should call for a new version ID.

Granted many times no updates or modifications will ever be done on some models of detectors,,, but in the event changes are needed to be made after a manufacturer officially releases a detector---- these changes can be readily recognized by the ID shown.

I am seeing too much confusion on recent models of detectors,, where changes have been made-- but it seems a user or buyer have no real way to tell by looking at the unit to recognize what version it really is.

This standard if adopted,,, I think too,, can even help the manufacturer down the road in resolving issues with customers.

And I would fully expect manufacturers to keep their websites up to date with latest version ID per detector model.
I think you are absolutely right. Everyone should have access to that information before they purchase a new detector. I am about to purchase I hope a new Fisher F5. I have ask if they could supply me with the serial number before I purchase it and I had one sponsor tell me Fishers do not have serial numbers. I am trying to avoid buying a detector that has been on a shelf to long.
I can tell you one thing my F2 has they serial number clearly displayed on the box and also inside the battery compartment.
You are also right about resolving issues with a product. When I was servicing equipment out in the field the first thing I had to do was check and see what version software it was running!!

I think you are absolutely right. Everyone should have access to that information before they purchase a new detector. I am about to purchase I hope a new Fisher F5. I have ask if they could supply me with the serial number before I purchase it and I had one sponsor tell me Fishers do not have serial numbers. I am trying to avoid buying a detector that has been on a shelf to long.

I can tell you one thing my F2 has they serial number clearly displayed on the box and also inside the battery compartment.

You are also right about resolving issues with a product. When I was servicing equipment out in the field the first thing I had to do was check and see what version software it was running!!

Your gonna like that F5! I really enjoy mine.

Is there a particular model that you are concerned about? Some Minelab and XP Deus are able to be updated to the latest version online.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No particular model,,, but I have been reading some post about White's MX Sport and Fisher F19,,, and I see these folks chasing their tails,, trying to figure out what they really have possession of.

This should be a no brainer IMO.

It would be nice to know what version of firmware you're running on any given machine. It could be incorporated into the serial number, if not displayed directly on screen at startup.

Don't think I would buy from the dealer that told you there's no serial number on Fishers detectors.

Back
Top Bottom