Titanic Find

GW3735

Elite Member
Back in March I was detecting with fellow forum member Ffx2 when we hit an old 1700s house didn't find much so we headed to another site I had just been given permission earlier in the day. Well once we arrived we were turned away when the guy who lived there said well called the landlord and she didn't want you digging here. Little disappointed so we headed to another site that I had permission that dated to mid 1800s. Well let me just say things happen for a reason and the third hole I dug confirmed that by providing me my first 14k gold ring with a pink sapphire.

This is only the beginning I started researching my find and discover it's made in the late 1800s by the Ostby Barton company a large gold ring manufacturer of the time. I also found the makers mark included one of Ostbys marks.The story gets odd when I start reading about Ostby who travelled abroad with his daughter Helene and decided to travel on the Titanic on their return accompanying some friends. Well they managed to make it to a lifeboat but Ostby decided to return to their stateroom for warmer clothing and perished because of his decision. His daughter however did survive. I'm still in disbelief of the history behind the ring maker.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,683
that's an awesome find! :yes: something tells me that it might be worth a little bit more than melt value, lol. having that makers mark could put it up there in value, maybe even make it a collectable considering the makers history.

that's an awesome find! :yes: something tells me that it might be worth a little bit more than melt value, lol. having that makers mark could put it up there in value, maybe even make it a collectable considering the makers history.

It is. I found a Otsby rose gold baby signet .7 of a gram 14k. I put it on ebay not knowing what it was and listed it at $95 with best offer option.

A lady in Tokyo bought it in like 3 hours for $95. When I told her it would be $25 for flat rate box insured shipping to Japan she added $25 instantly. :wow:

When she got it she left me glowing feedback. I guess I should have put it at auction! :lol:

That's some really good investigating . Yes I would say get it checked out , you may have found a goldmine . pun intended . Keep us informed , I'd like to hear more after appraisal .

Great find ,I would do more research on the family of the maker , and see if their is anyone still around , the ring may be worth more than you think do to the maker , and the story behind his misfortune . Great find man

Wow that's a nice one with some outstanding history! Congrats on the find!

Back
Top Bottom