1862 S Seated Dime

digginsilver

I am still in shock over this one. Some on the east coast may not consider this eye popping or mind blowing, but living in the central valley of California I just wrote off ever finding a seated liberty coin due to the fact that history doesn't go back as far on the west coast as it does over on the east coast. Id consider myself lucky if I found a Barber, but boy was I proven wrong today.

I was at the spot ive been hitting at a local lake that has produced a franklin half, 2 washingtons, a rosie and a few silver rings. I had my girlfriend with me today and I was just following her around not really thoroughly searching the area. We were walking down a dirt road and she stopped to use the phone since we had service in that spot. I used the opportunity to swing a little slower and got a signal going from quarter to copper cent on my machine. It was ringing up at 2 inches. I dug down a little bit and the coin popped out, I picked it up thinking it was probably just a clad dime, wiped away the dirt and saw a seated liberty. I think it took a few seconds for my brain to register what it was I was looking at. Once I realized what I had, I proceeded to completely lose my $#!&. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. And it was only 2 inches down in hard packed dirt being run over by vehicles for god knows how many years. I never thought I would ever dig a seated unless I went out east somewhere. The possibilities of what can be out there are so much bigger to me now. I cant wait to get back out there.

Also found today was a Susan B Anthony dollar, 1979 S and a nice indian sterling ring with a green stone in it. Ironically when we got out of the car, my girlfriend said she wanted me to find her a piece of indian jewelry. I was more than happy to hand it over. I didn't get a chance to get a pic of the ring yet but will update the thread with a picture. Thank you everyone for checking it out. HH!!

Really nice detail on the Seated !! They are rare around here too and I completely understand your excitement. Big Congratulations to you !!!!

Awesome find, that gives me hope to maybe stumble across one in my area one day! That's really nice. Congrats!

Thank you everyone! I am still so excited about this one. Ill be taking it in on Friday to get it evaluated and see if itll be worth getting it graded.

Stay excited! Thats a stellar find anywhere in the states. Especially since it looks like it was lost the year it was minted. Simply fantastic. A giant congrats to you.

Not sure if you are aware of the value of that coin but you should consider having it put in an NGC or PCGS holder. It will get a details label but still worth it.

wow what a find and yeah i have figured it would never be possible to find one of these on the left coast but you give me hope:cool:

My only silver coin find to date is an 1856 seated quarter, so they are out here in CA for sure..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom