Low freq never ever again

Karletto

so i had this occasion to buy low frequency detector 7,5kHz.
Had many different models of high freq detectors so this was something new...

A disaster.
It is very sensitive to mineralization and living on Karst - area full of stones and rocks means your are kaput.
Because mineralization plays games with the machine it will also give you very inaccurate signals about the type of the metal!
A coin 4'' deep was beeping like 7-8 times on iron and only 2-3 times around the middle of the scale. :shock: That never happened on high freq detectors - which hardly beeps on iron...

Thumbs up for low freq goes for reaching depth. Reaching 6'' was very easy.

Anyway goodbye low frequency - you are good only for MORSE code and this was banned 15 years ago i believe. For serious hunting do not buy these.
Someone please call and tell them they'r doing it wrong!

Sounds like there is alot more at play here than just low frequency machines!

My low freq machines all do well in just about any environment...

Ground balance issue? User error? Lack of experience in setting the machine up yada yada... not just because of the frequency....

Ah now I understand why some parks are never hunted out - All these young fullas are running around with high frequency machines :laughing:

I will just meander around with my 5khz walking stick -

Very strange. Low frequency machines are usually less reactive to mineralization than higher frequency ones. You never mentioned what brand detector this was. Was it a top line machine or a knock-off? New or used? Perhaps it was defective?

Ive been Using 11 KHz alot.I use 4 to check for iron.I have also ran 4 for hours on end with no Ground effect problems.I didnt think lower freq had a issue with mineralized soil?The model itself may have been the issue you encountered.A machine that can use multiple freq and change between them with one push of a button like the deus is how I wish all companies would go.Some other models can chage freq,but you have to change the coil also.

You must be smitten with some serious magnetic minerals in the substrate. Higher frequencies (16-22kHz) tend to do better there, especially on ancient objects like lower conducting hammered coins and gold. ID accuracy may still be off, but good tonal response is what you're looking for anyway, so numerical ID is less important.

You must be smitten with some serious magnetic minerals in the substrate. Higher frequencies (16-22kHz) tend to do better there, especially on ancient objects like lower conducting hammered coins and gold. ID accuracy may still be off, but good tonal response is what you're looking for anyway, so numerical ID is less important.

Agreed!

boh i will give it another 10 hours
maybe the sensitivity was set too high 5/6

OK, it is Teknetics alpha 2000.
In my part of the world it is quite exotic brand so its parts and coils are not really available around the corner...
I was surprised also on the size of the coil - like 6'' diameter only. :shock: How the hell am i supposed to hunt on open pastures with a coil like that...

thanks

Didn't you read the specs before you bought it? Does not matter the frequency.. coil size to applications are more or less the same..

I have a delta 4000. Pretty much zero mineralization in my soil. But my machine acts just like yours. Don't think it has anything to do with minerals or frequency. More so just a !!!! brand of detector. I read a lot of people that love there technetics but you couldn't pay me to use one again absolute garbage in my opinion.

I have a delta 4000. Pretty much zero mineralization in my soil. But my machine acts just like yours. Don't think it has anything to do with minerals or frequency. More so just a !!!! brand of detector. I read a lot of people that love there technetics but you couldn't pay me to use one again absolute garbage in my opinion.

I tried to tell ya before you got it!

The eurotek pro is the only teknetics I have ever used that is worth using...

You got anyone with a detector they can switch frequencies on. V3i, DFX or something that has that issue?

Lol yep. Sad thing is in canada the delta is almost $400. Don't get me wrong I've found 19 silver coins, 6 gold rings and 8 silver rings. Plus over a grand in clad with it since July but and a big but is..... I couldn't imagine what I would have found with something better. Makes me mad should sell it in a toy store. I can't count the number of times I've cross checked a target with a buddy's f2 and it's completely differerant to what I have. I'd say 30% accuracy with mine 60% with the f2 and 80% with f5/ATP when cross checking targets. I dig 3 holes to everyone's one and come out with just as many keepers at the end of a hunt. Sorry just my rant.

Lol yep. Sad thing is in canada the delta is almost $400. Don't get me wrong I've found 19 silver coins, 6 gold rings and 8 silver rings. Plus over a grand in clad with it since July but and a big but is..... I couldn't imagine what I would have found with something better. Makes me mad should sell it in a toy store. I can't count the number of times I've cross checked a target with a buddy's f2 and it's completely differerant to what I have. I'd say 30% accuracy with mine 60% with the f2 and 80% with f5/ATP when cross checking targets. I dig 3 holes to everyone's one and come out with just as many keepers at the end of a hunt. Sorry just my rant.

I was thinking about trying a T2 once. A couple friends didn't like theirs so I left the teknetics alone.

Idk maybe it's just me being my first detector and all but comparing it to others in its class it's night and day differance. Just the rage the op feels makes me laugh I've been there felt that. Low frequency machines def have there place in the metal detecting world. But just not a teknetics!

I've never had this issue. I generally always use lower freq. They go deeper and are better for silver and copper which is mainly what I hunt. On my V3i I can switch between 2.5, 7.5, or 22.5, or run all 3. I tend to run in 2.5 alone most of the time as it works best for deep copper and silver (having all the power going through a single freq. also helps with depth). As others have said, it sounds like there is more at play here, I doubt freq. is the only problem, if it's even a problem. The XLT for example was very popular for hunting in Europe and it was 6.59 frequency.

Back
Top Bottom