White's MX5 - Anyone here swing one?

jwp1964

Forum Supporter
Does anyone here use the White's MX5 detector? I am considering a change. Not because my Teknetics Omega is not finding the goods, I'm just interested in trying something different.

Would like to see comments from people who swing the MX5. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Yes I have the mx5. I really like it. It's a little chatty if you're around emi sources. But I have found targets the size of BB's about 10 in. down. The only problem I have with it is sometimes when you go to pinpoint it won't work right. The depth meter will show 12 in and no sound. So I go back to regular mode then back to pinpoint and it works good. It does pinpoint accurately though. All in all I really like this machine.

Yes I have the mx5. I really like it. It's a little chatty if you're around emi sources. But I have found targets the size of BB's about 10 in. down. The only problem I have with it is sometimes when you go to pinpoint it won't work right. The depth meter will show 12 in and no sound. So I go back to regular mode then back to pinpoint and it works good. It does pinpoint accurately though. All in all I really like this machine.

Thanks for the info...I've been swinging 3 different Teknetics for over a year so I'm use to a little chatter.

How do you like the tones? How many tone options do you use?

I love the tones. I use the 8 tones. I upgraded to the mx5 from a coinmaster so this is the first detector I have used with different tones and vdi numbers. So I can't compare it to any other detector besides the coinmaster but I really like it so far. I have found 2 merc dimes with it so far.

I have had mine for almost two weeks as well. I use mine with an SEF 10X12 coil. I have had excellent results. To date I have pulled 5 coins at 9"+. The threshold is not a smooth hum like I am used to. It is crackly hum I guess you would say. I would definitely prefer a nice smooth hum. White's said it is a HYPER threshold?? I run my MX5 sensitivity at 9 with no problems.

Jim

I don't think many people have boought the mx5 because you could get a dfx or mxt used for less than a new mx5. I was checking it out and reading reviews after it first came out and it has some cool features but its a little too middle if the road for the price. Just my opinion of course, I have always wanted to get a Whites md but never pulled the trigger.

I don't think many people have boought the mx5 because you could get a dfx or mxt used for less than a new mx5. I was checking it out and reading reviews after it first came out and it has some cool features but its a little too middle if the road for the price. Just my opinion of course, I have always wanted to get a Whites md but never pulled the trigger.

We just got in our Whites MX5 Detectors We are excited to put them thru the paces and test them out!

Holler if I can help!

There are a few YOUTUBE videos you can watch. I watched them to do research for a friend. Was looking for a comparison to the AT Pro, one of the machines he was considering, but didn't find that.

Good machine

Very easy to use . My first machine. When I started out I was using the disc mode a lot and that's where you can use the 8 tones. The configurable disc options are great too if you really have a specific range of targets in mind. However I eventually switched over to all metal since I have read about disc potentially taking the depth away and then I would just watch the VDI numbers when I hear the signals.

They make a lot of coils for it. I switched to a 13 inch ultimate dd coil and it is great on depth and coverage especially if yo want to cover a lot of ground. I've gridded the beach out a number of times about the size of a football field finding rings on the beach. You will need some strength in your arm and elbow to carry it through that amount if coverage and the bigger coil. A counter balance behind the elbow helps a lot. As for it working in the salt water you need to turn down the sensitivity so it does not go nuts even in beach mode on the jersey shore.

Back
Top Bottom