do I need a pinpointer

The PP on the detector just centers you up on where to cut your plug. You don't necessarily need one, but it makes it a WHOLE lot easier once the plug is open. I didn't have one in the beginning either and it was a lot harder to find the target. I would take the clumps of dirt and wave it over the coil. What a pain.

Yes, without a doubt.. the cheap ones will help the best one will be invaluable to your new hobby..
Buy the TRX to start and be done

YES!!! Would you rather recover 15 targets per hour or 35 targets per hour? Metal detecting "keepers" and garbage finds are a ratio almost always with the garbage finds outnumbering the keepers. The more targets you dig in the time you are detecting the more garbage you find AND the more keepers you find. GL and HH. Matt

A lot of the coins will be badly discolored and it will help you find them in the soil or sand. Even a cheep one like harbor freights is much better than none.

The PP on the detector just centers you up on where to cut your plug. You don't necessarily need one, but it makes it a WHOLE lot easier once the plug is open. I didn't have one in the beginning either and it was a lot harder to find the target. I would take the clumps of dirt and wave it over the coil. What a pain.

This is a good example.

No, you don't NEED one. But, on many occasions they're very handy. I won't hunt without one anymore....unless I'm in the water. If you can swing it, get a Garrett ProPointer, Minelab Profind, or White's TRX. If those are not in the budget then you can get a CenTech unit from Harbor Freight for less than $20 which is better than nothing.

Yes

TRX #1 Garrett #2 Pistol probe #3 in my line up, the reason is, the machine might have pinpoint which locates the position of the target , however when your down on your knees not standing up, on the ground digging with your hands, you will want a hand held pointer, just another tool that makes the hobby easier , more enjoyable, happy hunting, Earl

thank you all for your posts, I am learning quite a bit in such a short time!
I have come across a Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
how are they compared to the TRX or the Garrett PP?

One bit of advice, buy from one of the sponsers instead of kellyco, 100% better service.. And if your going to buy a pp in that price range just go for the best, buy the TRX and be done with it

I remember my first week or two without one.....smiles....

Let's put it this way, if I was 10 miles away from home heading to my favorite hunting spot and realized I had forgotten my hand held pin pointer, I would turn around and drive back to get it....

HDD

Back
Top Bottom