Bounty Hunter Pinpointer

scrapaddict

I found a Bounty Hunter Pinpointer on Amazon for about $42 does anyone know if that is a good buy? I know you all prefer the Garrett but I can't spend that much right now. Seems like I read about a Harbor Freight one for $17. Does anyone know if the BH one is worth the extra?

Thanks!

I dont really think its worth the extra $$ for the BH , if you throw a toggle swith in the HF PP you shouldnt have any problems.. Until it decides to commit suicide

I have a similar one made by F2. I am still new to this, but it seems to work pretty good. Starts buzzing at about 1.25 inches away from target.

I got the BH pinpointer as part of a package deal with my first detector, QuickDraw II. It works okay, but I really didn't like having to adjust it at every hole, the on/off switch is integrated into the adjustment knob. Beeped kind of loud. I picked up a Harbor Freight, and never really used it, pretty much had it apart, and modified it from the start. Replaced the push button with a rocker switch, swapped the beeper for a vibrating motor. Turned out pretty good. I got sucked into the Garrett hype, which was everything I expected, not that thrilling. 7 months later. I was back to using the HF, since the Garrett just kept going off for no reason, and need to get sent in for repair, which only last 6 months, before having to go back to the HF, which I'm still using. It's not fancy, certainly not in a competition or race, but get the job done, and having fun. $127.50 didn't improve the fun factor all that much.

I do most of my pinpointing standing up, my target should be in the base of the plug, or not real deep in the hole. I do need to retune the HF every few holes, if there is a problem finding the target. Don't always need the pinpointer, the target sometimes just spills out of the plug, if our sand/soil is dry.

The Fisher, Bounty Hunter, and the Teknetics pinpointers are the same thing and not worth their cost in my opinion, you have to about touch the object with the pinpointer for it to sound off.

The Fisher, Bounty Hunter, and the Teknetics pinpointers are the same thing and not worth their cost in my opinion, you have to about touch the object with the pinpointer for it to sound off.

No, not true. Just need to adjust it when you turn it on. I can get mine to detect at 1 1/2" from the object.

Just have to know how to use it correctly is all

No, not true. Just need to adjust it when you turn it on. I can get mine to detect at 1 1/2" from the object.

Just have to know how to use it correctly is all
You are probably right, I had one that came with a detector, I put a battery in it and tried it once I was going to toss it in the garbage but managed to sell it for a few dollars. Didn't realize there was an adjustment on it, I am old school I wouldn't even use a Garrett ProPointer if one was given to me. I like swinging the coil over the plug and the hole the coin has to be in one of them.

I knew how to adjust it and even took it apart and tweaked it and still max was maybe an inch if your were lucky ... guess it's better than nothing but I'd save a good PP

I hate to say it, because when it comes to detectors I'm just a Fisher/ Teknetics kinda guy- but thier pin pointer is the laughing stock of the detecting world right now. It is terrible. Period.

Everyone else in the industry (all the major brand names at least) have bristled with great feats of design and ingenuity in the handheld pin pointer department in the last few years....except them. Whites lead the way in my opinion with the original bullseye, then Garrett shook the world with the amazing Pro-pointer. Minelab threw thier hat in the mix with the very high quality Pro Find. Kellyco contracted for thier own house brand of pin pointer, the Vulcan 360. Whites in my opinion have snatched the PP crown back with the TRX- it's amazing, nothing short of amazing!

Meanwhile......at Fisher labs they've been working on......the F19???

A detector that in the price range or performance really had no gap or niche to fill in my opinion.

The Centech from harbor freight is better than than the BH/ Teknetics / F-pointer.

I have the F-point, centech, and TRX. And I have used the Pro pointer a good bit before I got my TRX though I don't own one personally. My advice is save for a pro pointer or TRX.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am gonna wait and see how it goes without one first to see if I feel like we need one.

At first you may feel like you don't. Borrow one from someone if possible, but only AFTER you have tried hunting without one lol.

The difference is just damn ridiculous in target recovery time haha. You are just like everyone else ( myself included!) that thinks "meh, I'll wait a d see".

Once you use one you'll never go back, and most of us who have them (good ones at least) consider them essential. Man, it's like a car with no steering wheel! Lol

Then again you may be one of the people who just enjoy or prefer to hunt without one- everyone's different and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Lets us know what you decide and best of luck bro!

I went ahead and bought the HF one because I got a coupon in the mail so it ended up only being around $14 so it didn't seem like too much of a waste plus it will give the 4 year old something to do while big sister is playing with her new toy.

Look at it as cheap insurance.:yes: Once you have used a PP and see the amount of coin/relic recovery time you save, you won't hunt without one.

Back
Top Bottom