Looking for your Opinions

h2000fb

What do you think?

I live in Crawford, TX - half way between Dallas and Austin. Will be digging dry ground most of time. Maybe, maybe try areas around old water holes but can't see any of this under water stuff.

Think my digging would be for anything of interest. Relics, coins, rings, stuff.
I do have access to several old homesteads, barns, an old river crossing used by pioneers for approx 100 years, and at least one old stage coach station. Would be looking for any item of interest. Don't think I would be in trashy areas, but who knows.

DON'T KNOW WHY, but during my internet searches, have become partial to Garretts. No reason other than look simpler to operate? Who knows.

- Heard several talk about the AT PRO.
- Heard the ACE 350 as good as if you are the type to dig everything.
- Then I see AT Gold. Good for rings. So, are you saying you can't find rings without an AT Gold or something similar?
- Also sort of like the Fisher F5. Again, Don't know why.
- Would rather not have a huge learning curve, but am not tech ignorant (really).

- Others are talk about frequency, lada, lada, lada.... This is VERY confusing.

Only detector I have ever used was my grand dads - early 1960's era. I was just a tone. Not hard to use and had fun with it. We never went camping or exploring w/o it.

Alright, hit me... whatcha got. I am all ears. :popcorn:

Any detector can find rings. Ive found 6 or so with my Ace 250!(I use it the most) At gold was made with constant threshold so you can hear changes in it to find small/big gold nuggets. My At Pro is nice,I can hear differences between junk and coins,Its more stable than my 250. AT pro is much better than my 250.

I doubt frequency matters much until you get to a multi freq minelab,they seem to go very deep and have very good signal sounds which would make me feel more confident to dig a target or not.

Love my AT Pro

But if I was in gold country I would definitely look at the AT Gold.

My ATP is my first machine and definitely has plenty of room to grow into it.
It's not hard to learn the basics, but with any machine there is more to learn.
Addicted for life.:lol:

Hey neighbor......
The AT Pro is a good choice. excellent detector....If your eye sight is not as good as it used to be like mine, the screen may be to small. F5 might be a better choice. If not wanting a screen detector look at the Tesoro Outlaw Pkg...great value with 3 coils.
Good luck..

Welcome From North of You

The ones you are looking at are all good choices .
The more you dig the more you find it's all about relaxing and having fun
Is how I look at it . Out of all of those I think I would choose the
At-Pro because of I will hunt when it might rain and hunt around
Water at times so if I drop it / sit it down in the water so what.
As far as rings they all will find them .
Some of what I look at
How heavy is it?
How many battery's ?
What does it feel like in my hand?
How long do the battery last ?
Major mfg
Do I want more than one tone for targets ?

What do the dealers say about it ( pros and Cons)
Warranty how long ?
Used or New ?

Then do I want a turn on and go unit?
Target ID screen / vdi numbers ?
Nd lots more choices .
One thing to rember it's all in let's just get
Out and enjoy the outdoors .
I have been known to set a catfish pole out
And grab the detector and hunt around my
Fishing pole.

Hey neighbor......
The AT Pro is a good choice. excellent detector....If your eye sight is not as good as it used to be like mine, the screen may be to small. F5 might be a better choice. If not wanting a screen detector look at the Tesoro Outlaw Pkg...great value with 3 coils.
Good luck..

Not certain the screen does much for me (don't know enough) and I have not really considered the Tesoro Outlaw. Just how good is it? Or, is this just talking Fords and Chevies here? The older unit I used when younger was only tone, so I don't know what I might be missing w/o a screen since no experience using one with it.

Also, just how much does one swap out coils? I have read of more than one person saying they had more then one coil but really only use one of them. How important is this? (I do like gadgets and have closets full of gadgets I don't use, but had to have).

Is there really THAT much difference between comparably priced units? Or, it is more of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge type wars/friendly competition? Just curious.

.... choose the At-Pro because of I will hunt when it might rain and hunt around Water...

Used or New ?
Then do I want a turn on and go unit?

I have been known to set a catfish pole out And grab the detector and hunt around my Fishing pole.

TEXAS, you mention the AT Pro being water proof and I have read it. But, I am confused as some mention some units don't work in salt water, some do. So, if you work close to water, is the AT PRO good for either?

New or used?
Either is OK. Don't mind used if it is in like new condition.

Do I want a turn-on & go unit?
I like easy, but don't want to miss anything. Can I have both?

I really don't know enough to know if that is important to me.

Multiple tones for different targets?
Same answer as above.

... been known to set a catfish pole out And grab the detector.... :dingding:

This is really helping fellows. I am still listening.

I am very partial to AT Pro's. It seems to be a very versatile machine and a rugged one to boot.

It will hit small pieces of Gold hard and with some practice you will always know when there is a coin under the coil and usually what the coin is before digging it.

You can ground balance it to different kinds of soils and take the freaking thing swimming with you if you want.
Battery life is very good and if you spring for 8 rechargeable AA's you won't be buying any more for a couple of years.

Be sure to get a pro pointer too and there's nothing not to love here! :cool:

If a person buys a very slightly used unit, does anyone know which brands have transferrable warranties?

Fisher F5?
Garrett AT Pro?
others?

What do you think?

I live in Crawford, TX - half way between Dallas and Austin. Will be digging dry ground most of time. Maybe, maybe try areas around old water holes but can't see any of this under water stuff.

Think my digging would be for anything of interest. Relics, coins, rings, stuff.
I do have access to several old homesteads, barns, an old river crossing used by pioneers for approx 100 years, and at least one old stage coach station. Would be looking for any item of interest. Don't think I would be in trashy areas, but who knows.

DON'T KNOW WHY, but during my internet searches, have become partial to Garretts. No reason other than look simpler to operate? Who knows.

- Then I see AT Gold. Good for rings. So, are you saying you can't find rings without an AT Gold or something similar?
- Would rather not have a huge learning curve, but am not tech ignorant (really).

- Others are talk about frequency, lada, lada, lada.... This is VERY confusing.

Only detector I have ever used was my grand dads - early 1960's era. I was just a tone. Not hard to use and had fun with it. We never went camping or exploring w/o it.

Alright, hit me... whatcha got. I am all ears. :popcorn:

Feel free to give me a ring. Be glad to answer all those questions in person and make you a killer deal!

Sending pm

Not certain the screen does much for me (don't know enough) and I have not really considered the Tesoro Outlaw. Just how good is it? Or, is this just talking Fords and Chevies here? The older unit I used when younger was only tone, so I don't know what I might be missing w/o a screen since no experience using one with it.

Also, just how much does one swap out coils? I have read of more than one person saying they had more then one coil but really only use one of them. How important is this? (I do like gadgets and have closets full of gadgets I don't use, but had to have).

Is there really THAT much difference between comparably priced units? Or, it is more of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge type wars/friendly competition? Just curious.

TEXAS, you mention the AT Pro being water proof and I have read it. But, I am confused as some mention some units don't work in salt water, some do. So, if you work close to water, is the AT PRO good for either?

New or used?
Either is OK. Don't mind used if it is in like new condition.

Do I want a turn-on & go unit?
I like easy, but don't want to miss anything. Can I have both?

I really don't know enough to know if that is important to me.

Multiple tones for different targets?
Same answer as above.

... been known to set a catfish pole out And grab the detector.... :dingding:

This is really helping fellows. I am still listening.

Will send you a pm feel free to call

Out of the ones you mentioned, I would get the F5, far ahead of the others you've mentioned.

You say you would rather not have a huge learning curve. I'd hate to tell you, a huge learning curve involves learning that sometime the best way of doing things is the proper way.

For Parks, I would get a Tesoro, any uMax detector should do!

If you intend to dig eveything you don't need to spend a lot. You can get a machine with only audio response to a target. If you want a clue as to what it is you will want a visual display and audio with several tones. If you want even mre info you get one with a vdi.

I bought an ACE 350 and it is a good machine. It has a 3 tone audio and a visual display. The two together give you secent information. It isn't water proof and you mentioned river crossings.

I recently bought the AT Pro. It's a much better machine. It is water proof to ten feet. You can find much information about it on the web. It, however, isn't well balanced and feels heavy after you swing it for a while. I just change hands and the way I swing.

If a person buys a very slightly used unit, does anyone know which brands have transferrable warranties?

Fisher F5?
Garrett AT Pro?
others?
Minelab, XP, and Whites have transferrable warranties. Tesoro warrants their machines to the original owner, but ignores that and fixes their machines regardless.

Good luck with Garrett and Fisher.

Back
Top Bottom