Starting over after 20 years.

ernie m

Good evening from Maine. I just retired this year and thought I would get back into my old hobby. I dug out my old whites coinmaster 1 put in a new battery and it still works. I also ran across a tesoro compadre at a flee market for $20 and it seems to work fine also. Not sure if the whites is any good or if technoligy has outdated it so im also looking for another machine. I haven't read much about the tesoro silver umax. would it be a step up from the compadre. Is it worth the extra money over it's little brother? Anyway looking forward to better weather up here. Ernie

Not sure why you've gotten no answers, so I will take a swing at it...

I would take the Compadre out and experiment with it. It is a starter detector, but a lot of guys keep one because they are fun AND effective. If you like that style of detectors, Tesoro has a broad selection to choose from.

By the way, $20 was a heck of a deal. There is no reason to immediately jump to Silver - the Compadre has an excellent rep.

Good evening from Maine. I just retired this year and thought I would get back into my old hobby. I dug out my old whites coinmaster 1 put in a new battery and it still works. I also ran across a tesoro compadre at a flee market for $20 and it seems to work fine also. Not sure if the whites is any good or if technoligy has outdated it so im also looking for another machine. I haven't read much about the tesoro silver umax. would it be a step up from the compadre. Is it worth the extra money over it's little brother? Anyway looking forward to better weather up here. Ernie

Congrats on the retirement! Enjoy it!

The Compadre is a great detector, no need to spend money on an upgrade until you get a feel for what the newer, more featured detectors have to offer.

Almost everyone uses a pinpointer now, the go-to is the Garrett ProPointer at $127 and it's worth every penny. You can get other pinpointers for less money, or a used one in the For Sale or Trade forum here, or even Ebay, but here is usually better.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can pickup a basic pinpointer for $18, I have one, it's ok, but requires tuning pretty much before each use.

Ok thanks. It seem the biggest improvement in metal detecting is the use of a pinpointer. I'l pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom