• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

BH Pioneer 505

ckwatson

Looking for a first metal detector. I found a few on Craigslist. I am trying to keep my price down on a first unit.

What are peoples thoughts on the Pioneer 505 I live in Las Vegas now so most of my searching would be in the desert. Maybe some up in the mountains around the Vally.

Also how much would be a fair price for a used unit. The seller is asking $200

Looking for a first metal detector. I found a few on Craigslist. I am trying to keep my price down on a first unit.

What are peoples thoughts on the Pioneer 505 I live in Las Vegas now so most of my searching would be in the desert. Maybe some up in the mountains around the Vally.

Also how much would be a fair price for a used unit. The seller is asking $200

I got mine from Kellyco for less.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!!! If I were buying a metal detector in the 200 dollar price range, I would watch VERY closely for a Garrett ACE 350. That is the absolute BEST machine you can get for the money. I paid $250 shipped to my door, for a LIKE NEW Garrett ACE 350, with coil cover and rain cover.
MAKE SURE- it comes will AT LEAST the coil cover, and preferably the rain cover.
$250 for that setup is an INSANE deal,.... but if you watch the forum classifieds,... they pop up every week breifly. Also watch craigslist. But that package deal will go for no less than $300 on ebay pluss shipping. So the forum is your friend.
I may still have some leads on some sweet ACE packages because I JUST bought the wife one. PM me if interested!
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can, buy a new one. They run for less than 300 and you will get a 5 year warranty with it. Furthermore, I own one and in my opinion it's an underrated machine. I've pulled coppers,reales,knee buckles,etc with that machine and was able to get closer to power lines with it than with my Xterra 705. Also, you can buy a bigger upgrade coil for it for less than $70 and that's a steal. Good luck,

CS

Thats not a good deal at all. Go with a Garrett Ace 250 or used 350. A Fisher F2 is another good choice.
Both of these will go deep and better made. Also they use less battery which will save you money

I would have to agree with most other posters in that you would be better off with an ace series detector or an F2, F4. Buy a Bounty Hunter and you will find yourself wanting to upgrade much sooner! ;)

I started with a bounty hunter about 2 years ago and upgraded it after about 3 months. I would maybe look into the Ace 250 because it comes with a DD coil and get yourself a propointer and lesche.

I started with an old cheap used Fisher. Just a beep dig machine. Still works great. Had to have more so I bought a discovery 3300. It's great for clad. Started really liking the hunt so I went big with the dfx. Bounty Hunters are not bad machines. They're not great machines either. Their customer service wasn't too good when I had a problem. I recommend stretching a little and going for the ace 250 or 350. From everything I've read they're great machines for the money. H.H.

If you can, buy a new one. They run for less than 300 and you will get a 5 year warranty with it. Furthermore, I own one and in my opinion it's an underrated machine. I've pulled coppers,reales,knee buckles,etc with that machine and was able to get closer to power lines with it than with my Xterra 705. Also, you can buy a bigger upgrade coil for it for less than $70 and that's a steal. Good luck,

CS

Agreed! I started off with it & quickly got the 10.25" coil, which was the one I used 99% of the time.

Found my 1st colonial coins & relics as well as coins & relics from the 1800s.

Go to the BH forum to see what others have found.

It's a coin magnate!

Check your local pawn shops. then research the machines they have available.
I seem some at a pawn shop, walked outside and looked up those models on my smart phone to get an idea what they were worth. Got pair of bounty hunters that way. A model 1100 and a model 2200. They were asking $100 each. I offered $125 for the pair and they took it. If you buy used it better be cheap because you wont get any warranty in most cases.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will keep my eye out for one of the ACE models or and F2 or 4. It sounds like if I just wait and put a few more paychecks in the bank I will be happier.

Also thanks for answer my question even though I put it in the wrong section on the forum.

Something else to consider!!!!!!!!!! If you find a detector,,.... and after a while are doing great and want to STAY IN THE HOBBY.... you will eventually want an upgrade. If you are used to using an GARRETT ACE model detector... it would be NO BIG DEAL to upgrade to a AT PRO and get used to it really fast. LEARNING A DETECTOR is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing about this hobby. It takes at least 100 hours. You don't want to waist time by buying a Bounty hunter... deciding to upgrade in 3 years, and have to learn a whole new machine!!!
I would go with an ACE 350 because I don't think the ACE 250 comes with a Double D. coil. I could be wrong but thats very important! Either way it would be so easy to transfer the knowledge you gain from an ACE to the AT pro... and if you decide to stay in the hobby. YOU WILL WANT AN UPGRADE!!!!!! Trust me!

Something else to consider!!!!!!!!!! If you find a detector,,.... and after a while are doing great and want to STAY IN THE HOBBY.... you will eventually want an upgrade. If you are used to using an GARRETT ACE model detector... it would be NO BIG DEAL to upgrade to a AT PRO and get used to it really fast. LEARNING A DETECTOR is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing about this hobby. It takes at least 100 hours. You don't want to waist time by buying a Bounty hunter... deciding to upgrade in 3 years, and have to learn a whole new machine!!!
I would go with an ACE 350 because I don't think the ACE 250 comes with a Double D. coil. I could be wrong but thats very important! Either way it would be so easy to transfer the knowledge you gain from an ACE to the AT pro... and if you decide to stay in the hobby. YOU WILL WANT AN UPGRADE!!!!!! Trust me!

X2! :yes:

I like the idea of getting one of the "entry level" machines from a higher end brand that way when I do get ready to upgrade I will be use to using that brand.

I am going to a shop here in Vegas to see what they have. There web sight says they sell new and used machines so maybe I can get a good deal on a Garrett or fisher.

It looks like the Fisher F2 and and the Garrett ACE 250 have about the same MSRP ($250) and thought on the better one? It seems like they have about the same features. It does look like the Garrett has a submersible coil which would be nice but out here in Nevada I don't know if it would get wet to often

Thanks again for any input

I started with a BH then a Ace 250 now am using an ATP. The BH frustrated the piss out of me the ace was sweet and 100 times better then the BH and looked totally wore out when I got it. All have been used prior to me and I bought the ATP for $400 on Craigslist with 100% find $$ from the Ace. I'd get a used unit The BH I've seen for $75-100 Ace $80 -175 and ATP $400-500. I use a CL watch app that emails me when any post with MD is put on it. I have it set for 2 states AL and MS. Theres really great deals about every other week or so. Good Luck

Thanks for every ones advice on what to start with. After reading a lot of reviews on here I decided to go with a new Fisher F2. I got a good deal from Big Boys Hobbies. I got a F2 with a 4" and 8" coil, pin pointer. I also got a set of head phones. It should all be here Friday. I am hoping to get out this weekend and start swinging.

Back
Top Bottom