New at MD'ng, dumb question

brooktrout

This mite sound like a dumb question, I've been reading many of this post and I'm a little confused.

Can a MD (for example ace250) be used everywhere, different soils,can it find gold nuggets, silver, gold, coins, ect....
When browsing different detectors, some say, best coin finder detectors or gold nugget finder ect.
I was just wondering if with a MD for hobby use like ace250 or cibola, will I be limited in what I find or I'll be just fine! :grin:

like any hobby you can spend a lot or a little,depends on what you want to do. you have general det. that will do a decent job at most hunting an then you have det.s that will do a better job on a certain type of hunt. you need to decide what you want to hunt Most of the time an where you Want to hunt most of the time. some machines do better than others base on soil..etc. at the beach you have dry sand an wet sand, some machines only work best in the dry while others do good in both, so you need to let others on here know a little more on what you want to do an I bet you will get a lot of help.

I'm just new at this,
I will probably be scanning places like parks, possibly beaches (hopefully dry), mountain areas, old barns. Just looking for old coins, relics, jewelry, nothing very specific, and maybe some day hit a nice jackpot :lol:

Thanks for the help!

You can go to Radio Shack and see if they have any more Discovery 3300 detectors. They had them for $112 regularly $300. If not i have heard Ace250s are nice and i think they are $250-$300. Everyone seems to like them and are made in the US. Lots of different types to chose from. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds!

You want a general purpose machine. The Ace 250 is a great ENTRY LEVEL machine for the money ($212.00). If you are going to detect shallow saltwater / wet sand you will need a more advanced machine. at moe than twice the cost of the 250 just for starters. The 250 will work in shallow freshwater and wet sand with no problem. Anything deeper than knee deep, I'd consider a water machine. If you get the circutry wet on a land machine, you will have an expensive coat rack.

Seas1to2 said a lot. There is no one detector does it all the best. I would not reccomend a 3300 however. If you want to be serious about detecting you'll need a more advanced detector. Depends on your budget and again , where you want to hunt most of the time as well as what you want to hunt for.

I like the MXT. Only because I have one. :grin: If your goal is coins, relics,jewelry and just basic hunting the Ace 250 sounds like your machine. If you are going to add gold nuggets to the mix go for the MXT, it is sensitive to small stuff fairly deep. If you are planning to go into the salt water you need a machine designed for that. Tony can help with any of your questions on what is best for what. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks again,
I'll probably order it this weekend(ACE250), or if I can scoop up enough money for the cibola(tesoro), I might get that.
TonyinCT was telling me that it is a better performance machine than the ACE250, but like I said I'm just new at this, therefore, I don't have a clue right now :(, if I really get into it........ I can always sell it and upgrade to a more high quality model. :!: 

Back
Top Bottom