Is my Tek G2+ working correctly?

George (MN)

Elite Member
All metal mode not much fake numbers or noise, but if I put it in disc it shows lower ID #s that seem to be determined by EMI. Is this possible?

Dime IDs as 81-83 in all metal in house, to 6" or more. But when I go to disc, IDs are 35-40 in house, 44-58 in yard. So does it look like EMI is lowering the ID? Is this normal?

I'd thought disc was less affected by EMI than all metal, but seems I'm experiencing the opposite. Max in air tests is higher in disc than all metal. But I'd been led to believe disc reduces depth, so I'm really confused.

In air tests in disc, it gets 14" on nickel, but all metal is less deep.

Besides lower IDs in disc, in disc it displays #s constantly, which it does not do in all metal.

So did I get a lemon or is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help.

all metal ID on g2 is ground phase. notch on ID arc is only id in all metal. all metal is a lot deeper than disc. dime should be areound 83 on id.

So, my G2+ seems defective? Guess I need to contact First Texas? It almost seems like a case of reverse wiring, with all metal having less depth, but much better ID.

George, hang on...

I don't think you understood what detectingMO said to you.

If indeed you are in all-metal mode, then the numbers on the screen are NOT ID numbers, at all. The numbers are ground phase. The only "ID" readout you get in all-metal mode, is the "dial" around the top of the screen. It is only when you are in disc. mode where the number on the screen is a target ID number.

I can't imagine that your machine is "backwards," such that you are putting it in all-metal mode with the controls, but it's actually going into "disc" mode, and vice versa.

Are you SURE you are not thinking that you are in "all-metal mode," but are actually in disc. mode, and vice versa?

Do this...turn the machine on, and then turn the knob on the right-hand side of the machine all the way counter-clockwise until it clicks. NOW you are in disc. mode -- the white line on the knob should be pointing downward, six-o'clock position. Now, begin to turn the knob clockwise, and it will immediately "click" into all-metal mode; turn it back counter-clockwise until it "clicks," again, with the line pointing downward, six-o'clock, and you are back in disc. mode. Right?

If you already know this, please forgive me, but I have a feeling you might be doing things backward...

Steve

Very sorry, all. I was totally mixed up. One doesn't try to vary disc in all metal but the right knob has range in all metal but not in disc. Guess I shouldn't try to figure out so many detectors at once, especially when my eyeglasses have damage. It's just I'm in a hurry to try, so I can decide what to keep/sell ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom