Etrac question?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
I had the chance to hit a lakeside public beach last night for a few hours. Just as I pull up, another detectorist is unloading his Etrac to hit the beach also. He's fully equipped with Grey Ghosts and 2 pinpointers, shovel, and an arsenal of other detecting tools. We talk, guy is visiting from up north and is strictly a land comber, but we're at a sandy beach.

From our conversation, he's obviously been detecting wayyy longer than I have, but he says he never digs any trash? My question is, can the Etrac really tell a SOLID aluminum/foil target with NO variance (bouncing VDI) from a solid gold target?

This just amazed me, but the whole time had me thinking, "Well, no gold for you then!" I primarily think he was a coin shooter, because that was all he kept talking about. Plus, he kept cutting in front of me while I was gridding too, which was highly annoying. :roll:

I would say he was referring to his coin hunting. With the E-Trac there is nothing that helps much with gold and aluminum. Now on coins, I can get a good 99% nothing but coins if I want.

I would say he was referring to his coin hunting. With the E-Trac there is nothing that helps much with gold and aluminum. Now on coins, I can get a good 99% nothing but coins if I want.

That's pretty much what I figured. I know the Etrac is a silver killer, but to come to a beach setting and purposely not dig suspected gold signals because of possible trash, just confused me. I guess he just chooses not dig any targets within that foil range except maybe nickels, but the way he said it made it sound like the Etrac could definitely tell the difference even on solid non-variant targets. I just didn't think that was possible.

Thanks, Detector!

Yeah, what the gent is referring to as far as no junk.
Small can slaw, mid conductive junk,,,if looking for high conductive coins only a user won't dig much junk.

But when looking for pewter, gold jewelry,,,Etrac here is no better than any other detector.(this statement does not account for salt water or salt sand use.)
You chase lower conductive signals on etrac, you will dig junk!!

You will not dig bottlecaps though!!
If you have your disc set correctly.

Gold chains invisible to Etrac, unless maybe if the size of a log chain.lol

But dodging bottle caps on a beach does mean some thing.

I think the only machine I've heard could tell if a target is aluminum is the XP, according to this dude...:laughing:

You know ive became very good with full tones on the deus and its so nuanced you can call aluminum most of the time from tones alone . I think a lot of people don't get that far in the learning curve with the deus .....but the ones that click with and understand that part of it will do well.

<°)))>{

I think the only machine I've heard could tell if a target is aluminum is the XP, according to this dude...:laughing:

<°)))>{

There is some truth to what he is saying.
Not absolute though.
Gives a person some info tonally to base a decision.
Some detectors don't give hardly anything period.

Yes as stated above I can tell if it’s a penny nickle or silver. Coins yes. It’s amazing how well it reads. Deep targets is a Guess like most machines. Deep rusted iron, can give it headaches and ring in high.

Foil and gold your gonna dig all the low numbers 12-01—12-30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom