whites m6

digman

:?: HI all does anybody know about the new m6? has there been any field tests conducted? what is it comparable to . Any input would be appreciated thanx Bob Clark

Hey Bob. I have tested the M6 in bench and ground tests although I couldn't dig any targets because of the ground conditions here . I find it a simlpe to use and set up detector with no nonsense controls and it gave me every indication that it was a simpler version of the MXT. Time will prove me wrong or right but that is my initial impression. Also talked to a couple of people that did some testing on them and they agreed. I think most people will like it.

Not an Angel for sure :roll: but just want to help anyone I can in this hobby get started and be successful. It was something that has been lacking for a long time. I'm just glad I can help you . :yes:

M6 Field test from the uk.

taken from whites owners forum.

Recently Whites released the M6 onto the UK market, my first impressions reading the spec was its a ?Tamed? MXT, did whites release this machine in response to inexperienced detectorists calling the mxt noisy, well I?ve no idea if this is the case, but the M6 if set up properly ran smooth as silk while I tested it out on my sites.

The M6 has just one mode (coin & jewellery) compared to the mxt?s three, and just two control knobs and two switches, the two knobs are for sensitivity and discrimination, and the switch on the control box is for the ground tracking with three positions, ?beach?, ?autotrac on?, and ?autotrac off/lock?, the M6 weighs in around 3 ounces lighter than the mxt and has a completely re-designed 9.5 coil stock coil, and a large easy to read meter, the stem system is similar to the one used on the prizm series rather than the more usual style of the xlt/dfx/mxt, a three position trigger switch below the meter finishes off the machine nicely, this trigger in the forward position switches the machine into seven tone id mode, centre position is the normal search mode with just the one tone, as with other whites models pulling the trigger engages the pinpoint mode and depth reading, it has no threshold adjustment as it?s a silent search machine.

I?m pretty certain that several detectorists will pass over this machine thinking it?s a low end jobby because of the few controls available to play with, but old hands at this game are well aware that the addition of bells and whistles does not mean more finds in your bag, in fact farting about checking bouncing cursors, flashing lights, or even numeric displays slow you down and give no more info than the audio is already telling you through the headphones, the human ear/brain (even mine lol) is far superior to any gimmicky readouts a lot of machines have, so why many people think a machine which is laden down with gadgetry is better than a simple bare bones mid-range machine I?ll never know.

The first site I tried this machine on had some overhead power cables, the machine was stable with the sens set on 100, moving the control above the 100 mark into the shaded area like the plus numbers on the mxt will also boost the audio, although the machine is ?silent search? I could hear a very faint hum in the background, good thing really as it told me the machine was working as it performed very smoothly with only the odd spit and crack while going over the larger iron, the discrim was set just below the preset (1) mark which eliminates small/medium iron, the trac was set to the ON position, not enough iron around to switch it to OFF (lock) position after balancing, I was using the trigger in the centre position (single tone) and although the signals sounded a bit ?tinny? after using the mxt they were quite pleasant on the ears and not the blaster signals I?ve become used to on the mxt, switching to tone id (trigger forward) to check signals the audio was more defined and cleaner to my ears, if using in the tone id mode and you have the discrim set to reject iron you won?t hear the lowest tone for iron, to get a true tone id including the iron low tone you need to turn the discrim to 0, I personally was much happier having the discrim set to reject iron, that way any tone heard was indicating a good target, the pitch of the tone indicating the conductivity of the target, for instance a low conductive target such as hammered coins would give a tone I can only describe as a ?wet fart? lol, larger higher conductive targets obviously gave the usual high whistle, but as always any two way signal should be dug, only ignoring the lowest tone if the discrim is set to 0.

As on the mxt the C/J mode needs the sensitivity set carefully to avoid unnecessary background noise, raising the sens until noise is generated then backing off slightly as with most detectors will soon have things running smoothly, the M6 was very pleasant to use with just the odd click and spit as the coil passed over the near surface iron, now personally I never see the point in getting too scientific when doing these tests on new machines, all machines I?ve used (around 150 on the last count) have been run over the same sites which I know like the back of my hand as they say, and I can tell within a few hours usage of a machine on these sites if it will do the business or not, obviously I couldn?t guarantee the same results on sites in different parts of the country, but an overall picture of how the machine performed in general, rather than just a list of finds and at what depths they were found is in my opinion far more helpful in deciding which machine to purchase, as always its more than just the depth capabilities of a given machine that makes me decide whether to keep it or not, if using a machine for a long session of detecting the weight/balance is very important, as is the tone of the audio response, the ease of making adjustments in the field and the build quality also play a big part in deciding the merits of a given machine.

I found the sensitivity of the M6 to small finds just as good as the MXT, some of the targets were tiny, some people think a .177 air rifle pellet is a small find but the M6/mxt will find much smaller than that, in fact I?ve never found another machine yet to equal the sensitivity to small finds as the whites mxt/dfx/M6, which is why the mxt holds the record number of ?cut? hammered found by myself over the last forty years, the cut hammered especially cut quarters are for me the benchmark for a genuinely sensitive machine, and I mean finding them consistently and not just one every now and again.
On the second site I visited with the M6 I was able to get the sensitivity halfway into the shaded area due to moving away from the power lines, the machine ran smoothly again with just the odd click here and there, plenty of non-ferrous bits and pieces came out some at good depths, and a couple of flattened coke cans had me digging deep holes expecting to find large iron as the target, you know the ones, plough shear?s or large horseshoe?s.

This machine will take all the accessory coils that fit the dfx/mxt so there?s a very wide range to choose from, the coil choice for a given machine is another important consideration when buying a new machine, personally I stick with the makers coils as I?ve been let down several times on many different machines by third party coils that promise the world and deliver nothing.
On the next site I gave the machine a run over I decided to fit the 10? X 5? elliptical DD coil, the DD?s handle the ground much better than the concentric ones, although at a slight loss of depth, surprisingly I could get the sens to max with only some slight chatter, with the sens maxed out any depth loss over the stock concentric coil would have been minimal, I enjoyed several hours detecting as the machine worked smoothly with only the occasional chatter as I hit the iron laden patches on this site, as an afterthought I reckon the 14 inch DD would have been a better choice as the field had been ploughed, and the extra depth given by the large coil would have counteracted the fluffy soil full of air pockets, nevertheless the smaller DD did a very good job winkling out more non ferrous finds, a short cross cut half hammered was the only notable find, but the amount of non ferrous at the end of the day did show this machine is on a par with my mxt, I couldn?t say that about too many of the machines I?ve given a run out lately.

The M6 with only the vital controls fitted that are needed for some serious detecting, would in my humble opinion be a good choice for a novice as well as the experienced detectorist, a novice certainly wouldn?t outgrow this machine in a hurry, it would also suite the people who liked the mxt but found it noisy, the mxt is a serious piece of kit for searching those ancient iron littered sites in the UK, which is why I?ve used it for the last two and a half years with great success, and the M6 although being a stripped down version of its illustrious brother certainly matches it performance wise, and does it in a smoother fashion if set up carefully, the auto track is another reason this machine would suite an inexperienced detectorist, its very quick and accurate and would leave a novice to get on with detecting without worrying whether a manual balance system was set up correctly, all in all a very decent machine with the famous whites build quality, sensitivity, and after sales service.
Would I recommend changing to this machine from the MXT, no definitely not unless of course you?re one of the faint hearted that thinks the mxt is to noisy, the mxt likes plenty of power down and shouts at you lol, this one is more refined and whispers.

by rodger

I'm  a newbie in enery way. The M-6 is my first serious MD. All I can say is I love this machine!! Because of my location I mainly consentrate on coins; and coins it finds.
I've a lot to learn yet in this new hobby but  it's been great fun so far :yes:

One of our very own California boys, Greg Moscino, tested the M6 for White's before it went into production. He put in quite a few hours with the prototype and production units after that.

You can reach him at: Greg, Foster City, CA 650-574-2012
Cell: 650-346-2848, or by email at: [email protected]
and ask him about it (tell him Rudy sent you :)).

Greg is a nice guy and quite knowledgeable about a multitude of detectors.

Back
Top Bottom