Ace 250 using 8.5x11 dd

Well if you are going from a concentric coil , like comes standard with the 250 , to a DD coil you should notice better target seperation , though that coil may be a little heavier.

I also would like to add the DD coil to my ace 250 but dont know if its that much better than stock for $120

I prefer the 5x8 DD for the ACE detectors.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

My experience with the ace 250 was the retune speed was painfully slow. In theory a DD coil "may" speed that up just a little , I just dont know for sure. The DD would definately make target seperation better , that is one of the benefits of the DD. Target seperation and retune speed have a lot to do with each other. I never put the DD on my ace , but I have read positive accounts from people who did. I wouldnt reccomend the 8.5x11 though , I think you would be MUCH better off with the 5x8 that works so well with the AT pro and gold. That little bit of depth you might lose going with the smaller one wouldnt be an issue if you are needing better target seperation anyway , going with the larger 8.5x11 instead of the 5x8 could actually hinder you , especially since its heavier and bulkier.....they make the AT pro very nose heavy and unbalanced , the ace being a lighter detector the poor balance would be even more noticeable.

Ohiochris, can the 5x8 dd coil be used on an Ace 250? The ads I've seen state they are compatable with the AT machines, they don't talk about the Ace series. Is the mounting system the same, are the connectors the same? Thanks Minlooker

Ohiochris, can the 5x8 dd coil be used on an Ace 250? The ads I've seen state they are compatable with the AT machines, they don't talk about the Ace series. Is the mounting system the same, are the connectors the same? Thanks Minlooker

They now make them for the ace series too :yes: Yes the coil connectors are different. You cant put one for a pro on an ace or vice versa , but they do make them for both

So being that i mostly detect bigger areas that take awhile to go over would the larger coil be more up my ally? or just stick with the 5x8

So being that i mostly detect bigger areas that take awhile to go over would the larger coil be more up my ally? or just stick with the 5x8

Would be best to have both , naturally , though you will get more use out of the 5x8 , no matter how large of an area you hunt. When you think about it the 5x8 isnt so different in size from the stock coil on most detectors , so it covers an average chunk of ground with each pass.

I bought a used Ace 250 from a forum member and found the stock coil "irritating" for lack of better words, compared to my At Pro. I purchased the 8.5x11 DD coil for it and it seemed like a new, completely different machine.

It definitely separates better and there are far fewer false signals. It also recovers faster with less one way signals. I can do the "wiggle" for pinpointing just as I do with the AT Pro. I can't say anything about depth because the stock coil wasn't on it long enough to determine that. Your experiences may differ but this is what I've found.

As for the 5x8 coil, I personally keep the 8.5x11 on my AT Pro 90% of the time. I use the 5x8 when I feel the need to like in the water, tall grass, or when there are a lot of ferns in the woods. It is lighter, but I'm 48 years old with a shoulder surgery and a shattered collar bone from a motorcycle accident (3 years ago) and I hunt until I'm done hunting, not because I'm too tired to swing it. If I had to sell one of my coils it would be the 5x8 just for the fact that I don't use it as much.

The Ace 250 get used mostly buy an older friend of mine who is slightly disabled, and we will spend between 5, and up to 8 hours hunting with the larger coils with no ill effects from swinging them. My wife uses it also.

So my opinion would be to buy the 8.5x11 coil for the ACE 250 and you'll be happy you did.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom