reviews on AT Pro

Uncle_Lawrence

Hello friends, I am a new user, I lost a 22k ring that weighed in at 8 grams and wanted a MD to find it. I purchased the Garrett AT PRO which I learned that the guys on diggers use or did use. It is costing me $600, I use the thinking of "buy once cry once" Did I make a good decision? I can cancel and order something different if it is suggested. I know I should have ask you all first but wanted something on the way.

I like my AT pro. There have been issues with problems and having to be sent in for warranty work , when I bought mine I was thinking " what are the chances mine will be one of them ?" .... ultimately the chances were pretty good since I had to send it in for warranty work :lol:

In my opinion and also plenty of others the coil and headphone connectors can be a pain in the butt and should have been designed better.

Mine has been a good detector since getting it fixed , and it does everything its supposed to do , but personally if I wasnt going to be using the detector in water I would get something different. Dealing with the sometimes troublesome coil and headphone connectors just isnt worth the trouble when there are other detectors out there that can do everything the AT pro can do....though they cost a little more.

Its hard to beat for the price if you plan to submerge it in water though.

IN all reality the at pro will do what others do,find good stuff and find junk.Everybody digs junk ,some might dig more or less but they all do the same.i like my at pro and you made a good choice.As for spending more money,for what?The At pro is as good as it gets,and more money on a detector is bad money.If you were prospecting for gold nuggets or were making a actual career move out of metal detecting id say yes ,get more advanced.But the At pro does very well for a hobby detector.You can buy a few silver coins alot cheaper than a high end detector and save the trouble of digging them!

I like my AT pro. There have been issues with problems and having to be sent in for warranty work , when I bought mine I was thinking " what are the chances mine will be one of them ?" .... ultimately the chances were pretty good since I had to send it in for warranty work :lol:
oc, what are some of the problems?

oc, what are some of the problems?

They have had many problems in the past with leaking and broken arm cuffs but most of them have been resolved and the new machines no longer have the issue. There are still seemingly quite a few that have various issues having to do with the coils or electronics , mine worked ok but had a high pitch whine coming through the headphones. I sent it in and in a week they had it back to me working as it should.

I dont find any silver coins with my At-Pro. The silver coins find me.

(im trade marking that one, so dont even try it!!!!!)

No machine is perfect. Doesn't matter how much you spend or who makes it, a small percentage of every model fails. Considering the sheer number of AT pros being used, there are bound to be some failures. I like mine, haven't had any trouble with it, and would buy another one if I needed another machine.

Takes a while to learn the ATP, probably with any comparable machine too. Garrett suggests 100 hours, but I second guess myself often and it took me longer, and I still learn something now and then. Learn the basics well before messing with the bells and whistles. Last thing I leaned was tweaking the ground balance. What I enjoyed learning, by accident, was multiple targets. Dig anything, even if the numbers bounce, between 79 and 91. I found that two or more coins of difference denominations( a copper Penney and a Silver Dime) together can cause the machine to give erratic numbers. But the stay within the coin numbers. I passed up several spills that were found by the guy that came behind me. All of them had a silver coin and a copper coin together.

Two thumbs up for the AT-Pro and Pro-Pointer IMHO. Garrett is a great company to deal with and its USA all the way. GL and HH. Matt

Only problem I see here is that you paid too much! For $600 you should also have a Pinpointer included. If you are getting just one coil then $500 is closer to a good deal for a new one. If you could cancel the order, then contact some of the sponsors or buy a good used one with warranty left and get yourself a Propointer or TRX, then $600 is a good investment IMO...:yes:

@ the op: I am sort of confused by your post. Are you wanting a metal detector just to find this ring or because you want to get into the hobby? If your just looking for the ring there are some cheaper alternatives but if your wanting a MD to get into the hobby the At Pro should keep you satisfied for a good while.

GL HH

@ the op: I am sort of confused by your post. Are you wanting a metal detector just to find this ring or because you want to get into the hobby? If your just looking for the ring there are some cheaper alternatives but if your wanting a MD to get into the hobby the At Pro should keep you satisfied for a good while.

GL HH
Hi, to find the ring and since I always wanted to get into MD I decided to get one that had good reviews, for the moment I wanted to "buy once, cry once":grin:

Hello friends, I am a new user, I lost a 22k ring that weighed in at 8 grams and wanted a MD to find it. I purchased the Garrett AT PRO which I learned that the guys on diggers use or did use. It is costing me $600, I use the thinking of "buy once cry once" Did I make a good decision? I can cancel and order something different if it is suggested. I know I should have ask you all first but wanted something on the way.

Great choice on detector! You cant go wrong with a Garrett AT Pro!

Back
Top Bottom