Like old times....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Been so hot lately I don't get out a whole lot and if I do it is only for short hunts early in the morning before the heat comes in.
Yesterday it was kinda cool though so I went to a new to me park I have never been to before.
I am sure it has been scoured like all public places around here but it is actually one of the oldest parks around here, one of the initial parks built in this city and goes back to the 1800's.

This park takes up a small square city block, surrounded by streets and a sidewalk on all sides, curb strips all around it, it has a baseball field right in the middle that takes up 3/4's of the place but around the perimeter are a couple of basketball courts, a tot lot that still has chips, a picnic pavilion that has some grassy areas on each side.
On one side of the ball field is a little hill where people can sit and watch the game...and lose stuff.

Super trashy, tons of pop tops, screw on tops, can slaw, tabs of all kinds, bigger cans plus a lot of iron but not as much as my regular park close to home.
It was dry too so I couldn't dig real deep but i just set up the F70 and the Sharpshooter coil to go shallow in most spots and dug a ton of targets 1-3" deep...except in the tot lot where I switched to all metal for half the time.
Mostly used high disc and cherry picked the higher tones but used all metal here and there hoping to get lucky and maybe hit some lower area gold.

Really didn't find anything great, not even a wheatie, but still had a good time figuring out targets and picking up clad everywhere I went.
It was like the old days when I hunted so many parks in Kansas with a million signals everywhere and I spent a little time in each different area exploring and just having fun.

The hill along the first base side had a ton of junk but also clad so people did sit here and it has too much of an angle to set up chairs so I am sure there is probably a lot more here...I could spend hours just searching this area looking for jewelry and coins.
I walked across the outfield and didn't dig much but there were a few coins and at one end there is a very old rusted metal football goal so this was a football field at one time before they turned it into a baseball field.
After baseball season and some rain to make it easier to dig and get deeper if I can figure out where the sidelines are there might be a whole lot of great things deeper plus there was no sports field of any kind here from the 1880's for who knows how many decades up until they built that football field, it was just a big square grassy area where people in the city could gather so there might be some great old targets here if they didn't pile a bunch of fill dirt on top of this outfield area and I can figure out how to get to them.

Only some grass on one side of the basketball courts but people did lay some stuff there and I found clad plus a few nickels so there might be gold hiding there.
I did get a signal next to one court and found a cable lock and when I pulled it up the cable came up too which was a few feet long and was just under the dirt so that was a surprise.

IMG_20170731_063935_kindlephoto-138992852_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Another area I could spend hours in searching to do it right.

The tot lot had several coins, under one structure I got down on my hands and knees and just searched with my Propointer and picked up many dimes and both copper and zinc cents...another area where there could be some great stuff deep.
It seems like 98% of the tot lots in all parks in this city have gone to that rubber matting so I was happy.
Found a necklace in that thing but just a cheap one from Claire's, could be better metals hiding.
Found lots of clad in the curb strips too, there were so many signals I left in the dirt everywhere but I still picked up close to $4 in clad, lots of quarters, dimes, one cent coins and love to see nickels pop up in any site.
Most of the sites I hit are close to home with very few good targets left, I have drained most if the clad from them over time so I don't come home with a ton of coins when I hunt those sites anymore so this was...different.
It was like old times and I had such a good time just digging and finding it all in situations I don't find myself in much anymore, finally it got hot enough where I had to leave but this park needs to be revisited in the future.
There is a lot of history here, more than most areas in this city and who knows how much of that history was lost in the old days so definitely a place to hunt again.
When it cools off and we get some moisture so I can get way deeper.

Most of the day settings were disc up into the 40's to max 65, DE, sense 30-40, thresh -2 and switched between monotone and 3H with nickels notched in.
Turned the disc down here and there, also hunted in maxed out all metal for awhile but so many signals that I didn't feel like listening to so mostly set it for quieter hunting with lower sense and higher disc.
It all seemed to work, I had a ball and came home with a heavy pocket full of coins.

IMG_20170730_170435_kindlephoto-127341748_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, those are nice finds for a first time research kind of dig. Congrats on finding a new place. Maybe it isn't as hunted out as you thought. :clapping:

Hey, those are nice finds for a first time research kind of dig. Congrats on finding a new place. Maybe it isn't as hunted out as you thought. :clapping:

Oh, every public site in this city has been hunted to death for decades but because of the difficult soil and the amount of trash and iron masking those old guys never found it all, but they think they did.
Most don't seem to understand this, once a public site has been scoured for years and the old coin volumes slows down to nothing many seem to abandon it and consider it completely hunted out...but we that keep trying find out the truth and more hidden treasure than they thought possible.
I have found great treasure and bucket list coins in more than one kind of site just like this...it just takes time and the right tools and techniques and patience.

Back
Top Bottom