Hmmmm Compadre couldn't see quarter.

I placed a rusty 3\8 bolt on the quarter and it missed it downt he barrel.:roll:
I know, its a tough test.

Think of iron as a return signal amplifier. If you compare the return signals of a quarter, and a quarter sized piece of steel, the quarter sized piece of steel will produce a stronger response than the standard quarter will. The bigger the piece of iron gets, the stronger the its induced magnetic field will be. This is one of the primary reasons why iron can be so difficult to detect around.

A 3/8 inch bolt should drown out a quarter in such a close proximity. Your detector would need some mighty fine processing software to notice the quarter at all. It would be akin to trying to hold a whisper conversation at a Slayer concert.

It is possible to find them in the same hole. The quarter will just produce an ... odd signal from what you are accustom to.

There is only so much you can expect from the lil Compadre.
A bolt that big would be problematic for machines costing 4x what the C does.
The C shines in finding targets next to big steel and aluminum posts that higher powered machines can't get within 3 feet of. Also at the tiny little gold and silver chains and earnings that lots of machines will pass by. If you keep swinging it you will definitely find something that will blow your mind.

Noah

You never said where you had the discriminator set. I personally know of it being set to null over a pair of vise grips yet sound on a penny atop the vise grips. The Compadre excels from a/m to tiny iron. Expecting it to find this quarter even at small foil reject is asking a lot. :grin:

I'd guess the coin on vice grip would be easier than the 3/8 bolt with the concentric coil as it doesn't see through or around, would it not see the coin first on the grips and call it, but the bolt being at the same level as the coin it sees both at the same time?

I'd guess the coin on vice grip would be easier than the 3/8 bolt with the concentric coil as it doesn't see through or around, would it not see the coin first on the grips and call it, but the bolt being at the same level as the coin it sees both at the same time?
I guess the best way I know to answer is with my experimenting. In order to find a penny 1-2" under a paper clip I had to set the disc to where it just "ticed" on the paper clip. The Compadre can be set to do some crazy things. But it's pointless to actual hunting- the initial setting you choose will determine the finds. All I'm saying is setting the discriminator ar a/m thru the "I" in Iron is where the best see thru and jewelry finds are. I believe this quarter would have sounded. Just set till the bolt "tics" then try with quarter underneath.

There is only so much you can expect from the lil Compadre.
A bolt that big would be problematic for machines costing 4x what the C does.
The C shines in finding targets next to big steel and aluminum posts that higher powered machines can't get within 3 feet of. Also at the tiny little gold and silver chains and earnings that lots of machines will pass by. If you keep swinging it you will definitely find something that will blow your mind.

Noah

Its a good machine,my ace finds the same tiny stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom