Garrett ATX Metal Detector Questions & Answers

Steve Hershbach

Hi,

I have been detecting since 1972, and since 1976 was a multi-line detector dealer. My partner and I sold the store three years ago, and I am now full time gold prospecting, metal detecting, and writing. I coin and jewelry detect but prospecting for gold is my main focus. My detecting leans towards powerful all metal VLF detectors and pulse induction detectors. In particular, I am interested in ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) detectors. I have used every one released by a major manufacturer, and currently have a White's TDI, Minelab GPX 5000, and the just released Garrett ATX.

I have used the ATX on land and in water, hunting for coins, jewelry, and gold nuggets. I started this thread to answer questions about the detector. Please, if you see posts elsewhere on the Friendly Forums asking about the ATX direct them here. I will check here daily as long as is warranted. I want to make clear I am not a Garrett dealer and I could not care less if anyone buys an ATX. I simply like the machine and like discussing new detectors so there you go. All I can say is if you are interested in buying one check with your local Garrett dealer - and that is not me.

VLF detectors are common because they are effective. They can be very inexpensive, easy to operate, and offer varying degrees of discrimination capability. However, the method employed to discriminate limits the depth achieved, especially in mineralized ground and salt water environments.

PI (pulse induction) detectors operate on a different principal that tends to ignore the effects of mineralized ground and salt water. They are commonly sold as waterproof beach detectors because of this. However, the common PI is not immune from the effects of mineralization and so-called hot rocks. Most units intended for salt water use still have problems with hot rocks and severe ground mineralization. Ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) detectors were developed to deal with intense ground mineralization issues. They were first employed on a widespread basis in Australia and later the western US. In recent years their use has exploded worldwide due to the on-going Gold Rush. Minelab got an early lead in developing this technology and by way of key patents has maintained a solid performance lead versus the competition. Garrett and later White's came so late to the game that the battle honestly has been over who holds second place. Minelab stopped making less expensive models leaving an opening for the competition. The Garrett Infinium and White's TDI have been the main alternatives.

There is some debate over the efficiency and usefulness of GBPI detectors for prospecting in the United States as a good VLF can work well in areas with moderate mineralization and small gold. Interestingly, in my opinion a more useful proving ground has developed around relic detecting in the eastern United States. In particular, an event called Diggin In Virginia (DIV) has seen increasing use of GBPI detectors. The Infinium made early inroads, with the White's TDI supplanting it as a favorite recently. Increasing numbers of the top-end Minelab prospecting detectors are also being seen. The reason once again is good targets in highly mineralized ground beyond the reach of normal VLF detectors. If good potential exists, people will eventually move to whatever technology allows it to be recovered, even if that means paying a price both in the cost of the detector but also in the amount of junk dug. Eventually VLF finds simply peter out, and you have to go to a different level if ground is to continue to produce. GBPI detectors offer that next level of performance in highly mineralized ground. Long story short watch what the relic hunters out east are using to get the inside track on how the various models really stack up.

I want to repeat and emphasize though that it is all about the mineralization levels. There is no great advantage in going GBPI in low mineral ground. The more intense the mineralization, the greater the benefits. That is why you see people complain about how a GBPI does no better than their VLF. They got one based on incomplete information or glowing reviews only to find that in their low mineral ground a VLF is the way to go.

This long introduction is meant to highlight the fact that GBPI (ground balancing pulse induction) detectors are not for everyone. Moreover, I consider the this versus that detector battles often seen on the Internet to be pure nonsense and marketing hype. They are simply tools with varying levels of performance and capability at differencing price points. They all work and in capable hands will produce good finds. My approach has always been to just try and figure out what any detector is good at and use it for that. If a detector truly is not useful to anybody it does not survive on the market. The Infinium is a classic example of a this versus that product rollout full of hype, bluster, and blowback with many Minelab owners decrying it as useless. Yet over ten years later it continues to sell as people have figured out what it does well and apply it to those uses. It is a decent waterproof GBPI for a steal of a price and the market recognizes that.

The ATX is unique in that the housing was developed for military demining applications, specifically for the Garrett Recon AML-1000. The coil cables are fully enclosed in a telescoping rod assembly. The three piece rod not only extends to longer than most detectors for very tall people but collapses to extremely short lengths perfect for diving applications. It folds to a compact 20" for stowing in a backpack. The unit including it's built in speaker is waterproof to 10 feet. The detector runs off eight standard or rechargeable AA batteries for 10-12 hours. In short, the Garrett ATX is a unique offering with many interesting design ideas. If it intrigues you as it does me, fire away with any question you may have and I will answer in the most direct and no BS fashion possible. If I do not have the answer I will find it for you post haste. By asking good questions you will also help me learn, and I love learning about detectors!

Steve Herschbach

04_atx_935x340.jpg

08_atx_935x340.jpg

09_atx_935x340.jpg

I usually stay on the prospecting forums. But I am getting back more to coin and jewelry detecting these days and this is one very well run forum. One I used to frequent sort of petered away so here I am. Had to leave out a letter in my last name for it to fit however - kind of stingy with user name lengths!

Somebody will buy one thinking they are getting something they are not and sell used on eBay soon. Happens every time a new detector comes out.

I think competition in the sector is going to heat up a lot in the next year due to all the demand overseas. Competition is good for all of us!

What is the smallest gold it will hit? My Infinium went down to about .4 grams.

Easily, and I am not exaggerating, hits down to 0.1 gram. The two smallest nuggets I have actually located in the field weigh 0.14 and 0.12 grams respectively. That was with the stock 12" x 10" DD coil. I am sure I can do better with a small mono.

Replacing coil on ATX

Not difficult but certainly more so than a regular detector. The rod release (a lever) is activated and the coil/rod assembly rotated 180 degrees. The armrest is moved forward and the rod pulled out, exposing the coil connection, which is identical to the Infinium. The only real issue is lack of room for fingers to adequately grasp and manipulate. I have fairly small fingers - a person with large hands may start cussing. But with a little patience it goes back together.

There is a little cover inside over the coil connection that I have twice now forgot to replace, making me open it up again to get right. I am not sure just how important it is but wanted to get it right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,912
Hi,
I was wondering how deep your 0.1 gram nuggets were found and what type of ground were they in? The other thing i was wondering about is the ground balance. My minelab requires the occasional retune of the GB in tough ground so how dose the atx go as GB is a second function on the control pad.

Hi could you post up a pic of the display up close? I haven't been able to get a good luck at the settings. I cant quite justify the cost but it seems like an excellent machine, would you say this would be a contender to the minelab ctx 3030 or am I comparing apples to oranges?

ATX vs CTX

Hi could you post up a pic of the display up close? I haven't been able to get a good luck at the settings. I cant quite justify the cost but it seems like an excellent machine, would you say this would be a contender to the minelab ctx 3030 or am I comparing apples to oranges?

I have a CTX 3030 and basically apples and oranges. For me it is not either/or it is have both, as they make a perfect couple! The old PI versus VLF thing. For normal coin and jewelry detecting in parks, school yards, etc. the CTX 3030 is a vastly better choice. For beach use VLF vs PI has always been a debate, with the CTX being way better in trash, but the ATX having more depth. I do have more faith in the ATX actually in the water as it is a more robust detector physically than the CTX. For prospecting the ATX is hands down the better machine. I will have to get a good photo of both together and post just to make heads explode. I love messing with brand loyal people.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,671
ATX Depth on small gold

Hi,
I was wondering how deep your 0.1 gram nuggets were found and what type of ground were they in? The other thing i was wondering about is the ground balance. My minelab requires the occasional retune of the GB in tough ground so how dose the atx go as GB is a second function on the control pad.

See the previous post and picture of control pad. Push SHIFT button, then press and hold GND BAL button. Bounce detector above ground about 6 inches for 3-7 seconds. You will first hear ground response, then hear it disappear. Release button, you are done! Literally takes less than 10 seconds. The setting is retained until reset, even if detector turned off. You can engage slow automatic ground tracking (three speeds, slow, slower, and slowest) to help keep it correctly balanced in variable ground but I prefer fixed myself. If it got crazy with lots of manual balancing though that is an option.

The nuggets were lodged in moderately mineralized granitic bedrock crevices and had to be hacked out, so exact depth is a guess, but I am guessing a couple inches. Could have been an inch though, no way to know for sure. I have a big write up with photos of the gold and the bedrock digs but I am not sure about linking here. Just Google "Gold Nugget Detecting with the Garrett ATX"

Hello Steve,

I am seriously thinking about the ATX as my primary PI machine for the beaches here in Southern, CA. However, having a White's Dual Field, I have enjoyed learning the audio discrimination of shallow bobby pins, nails etc.

I guess my question for you is, does the ATX give you the ability to hear those double beeps on bobby pins etc.

Thanks Steve....always enjoy your posts.

ATX big mono coil

Hi Steve, love your post, especially about the ATX. I find you very sincere.

I have read all your posted articles regarding the ATX, But have not found any
with real info on the large 15x20" mono coils, capabilities ?

Have you done any full on testing with that coil.

What I am trying do find out is, will the ATX with the 15x20" go deep enough to make up for the GPX advantage on dept. Over the ATX 10x12" DD coil ?

This is my first post, hope you receive it.

Hank

Back
Top Bottom