my best Civil War find I think?

Dave in PC

Forum Supporter
I have just recently got back into detecting after several years, and i have been going through all my old finds that have been in storage. Since joining this forum i have been inspired to post some of what i think are my better finds. This is what i believe to be a Civil War Sword hilt, it is made of brass and has been cut off. What makes me think it is from the Civil War is the Shield and 13 stars below the shield. If anyone has any more information, please share.

Attachments

• DSC_0228.JPG
    DSC_0228.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 3,805
  • DSC_0224.JPG
    DSC_0224.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 3,626
fraternal and or pre-1840 militia

What you have there is the ricasso/hilt area of either a pre-1840 Non-commissioned officer's Sword (sergeants) or one one of a humpteen gazillion fraternal organization swords.

These little swords were often bone handled with a knights head pommel on the end. Super popular with militia and fraternal groups all the way through the 20's and 30's. without the rest of the sword to see who the maker was, and wether or not there was any etching on the blade, or a scabbard to check out the manufacturing techniques, it is entirely impossible to date this.

Since these type swords were not officially adopted by the US military it is doubtful that any ispectors marks on on this piece, but if there are let me know. They should simply show up as initials.

I have two of these swords...one was used by the Knights of Pythias, and the other was presumably militarily used.

http://www.gatling-gun.com/images/Civil_War_NCO_Militia_Knights_Head_Sword_dd.jpg

Attachments

• Civil_War_NCO_Militia_Knights_Head_Sword_dd.jpg
    Civil_War_NCO_Militia_Knights_Head_Sword_dd.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,436
  • 05355u.preview.jpg
    05355u.preview.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,322
NC REB.. Thank so much for identifying this for me. Now i know exactly what i have so when someone ask I don't have to guess.. This i definitely my best Relic find. I have not seen any initials..

Thanks again..

Back
Top Bottom