does anybody know what this is?

mountain girl

Me and friend were hunting old log cabin site in Va--found a little bit of coal(?) around site, this was buried deep

Attachments

• DSCN4064-01 compressed.jpg
    DSCN4064-01 compressed.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 534
Can you take more pics at different angles please? It would be a lot better for us to see different views to possibly help you determine what it is that you have found. Thank you.

I see letters on it, but can't make out what it says. I know it says shelf on the bottom but I can't read the top.

I see letters on it, but can't make out what it says. I know it says shelf on the bottom but I can't read the top.

When I try to make out the top word(s), I get bad language. :shock:

I should not try to guess. :no:

Shelf

I was just google searching and they make an ash shelf for many even newer wood stoves. I would guess its and old ornamental support for an ash shelf off some old wood stove??? All I find now are the flat shelf that the ashes might roll out on when you open the door or doors to add wood or coal, they are cast and hook onto the front below the door doors. that could have been a support for under the shelf to hold it up to support the weight of pots or whatever???:biker::digginahole::biker:

it looks like the top of an old coal or wood stove...where the stove pipe was inserted into the chimney hole...they had decorative supports in front of the pipe to help keep it stable

I am going out on a limb on this one.

Others have gave great clues.

There was a stove out there called a Wyoming Dockash Stove.

This could be a Dockash Shelf as an upgrade item for the warming shelf on an old Wyoming Dockash Stove. Old photos are few so trying to find the exact proof is difficult.

The warming shelf was on the back of the stove around the stove pipe and pulled heat into it to heat items ( kinda like having additional warmer burners on a stove since space was a premium for cooking.

I think this is it. Look at the back top of the stove. If you look close towards the bottom of the pipe stack you can read the same words "SHELF". It appears your is missing he whitish colored center ornamental.
WYDockB4Restored.jpg

This could be a Dockash Shelf as an upgrade item for the warming shelf on an old Wyoming Dockash Stove. Old photos are few so trying to find the exact proof is difficult.

The warming shelf was on the back of the stove around the stove pipe and pulled heat into it to heat items ( kinda like having additional warmer burners on a stove since space was a premium for cooking.

I think this is it. Look at the back top of the stove. If you look close towards the bottom of the pipe stack you can read the same words "SHELF". It appears your is missing he whitish colored center ornamental.

I declare you the winner. Looks like a match to me -- but I'm also often wrong...

WYDockB4Restored.jpg

thats exactly what i was talking about...nice find on the pic!

Back
Top Bottom