Green Rock.

Goldminer

Found this in my driveway while I was walking across the street to detect an old farm house. What made this stand out is I have crushed rock 3/4" minus delivered and the rock is Grey. I noticed this in the gravel, its Green with traces of what appears to be Quartz?? Any rockhounds out there that might know what type of rock this is besides a Green one :laughing::laughing:. Measures about 3" x 2" and appears to be water worn.

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Rock1.jpg
    Rock1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 318
Serpentine

It may be serpentine . Not common . It is where I live though. Word has it, it was formed in ancient sea beds. There is a couple of spots here in Pa . where the earths crust has opened just right to expose some out crops. I tumbled a bunch of it and looks nice polished. Just my guess.

It may be serpentine . Not common . It is where I live though. Word has it, it was formed in ancient sea beds. There is a couple of spots here in Pa . where the earths crust has opened just right to expose some out crops. I tumbled a bunch of it and looks nice polished. Just my guess.

Thanks Fred, I'm going to have it polished am sure it will look nice.

Could also be a mineral called Malachite. If it polishes up a more brilliant green then I would lean toward Malachite especially if you see any traces of copper in the quartz after tumbling. If it stays the deep green as pictured then serperpentine as previuosly mentioned is a good guess. I think there is also a green tourmaline, but I'm not sure. It should polish up nicely though.

possibly float copper? can't tell from the pics (slightly blurry), but we find quite a bit of oxidized copper with quartz up here.

It also can be Adventurine when polished looks like that with mixed quartz.

Here is some unpoloshied Adventurine

imagesCA2AN6E2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom