New to forum and MD. I have a question

atlantictrader

Several years ago I purchased a Bounty Hunter "Time Ranger" with the intension of starting a new hobby. But the hobby never got off the ground due to my frantic work schedule.
Now, I have changed careers and have time to start MDing. Can someone tell me if I made a good choice several years ago when I bought the Bounty Hunter "Time Ranger", or did I waste my money?
I'm 5 mins. from Rhode Island beaches and the tri-state area (RI, CT and MA) is full of historical sites.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Welcome from Kansas, Middle America. Any detector is fine to start with. Have fun. that's what it's all about. Soon you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

Welcome to the forum. I am new to detecting so can't really offer advice on specific detectors. However IMO since you already own it, have fun using it and learn all you can about it, and the hobby. Then after some time you will have a better understanding of what you like and if you want to invest in another one.

Welcome to the forum from Maine.

I agree with the others here... simply enjoy yourself out there and get to learn your detector before you determine if you've made a poor choice in detectors.

I'm thinking you won't be sorry you started with the detector you chose, whether or not you truely like the hobby. You can always upgrade if you like this hobby and determine the detector is not for you.

There are people out there who use the least expensive detectors and find just as much good stuff as those with top end detectors. Everyone goes through frustration in the beginning because they find mostly, if not all, trash. We all do... and we never stop. The trick is taking your time and learning your detector. If you do that and don't quit because you can't find the riches, then you're prolly hooked.

Enjoy yourself out there. Relax. HH!

Some great friendly advise. Glad I stumbled upn this forum.
I'm about to venture out where I know to be two old cellar holes. I'm sure over the years they have been combed by others. But, before leaving, I have one final question. I have headphones, a trowel and a military issue portable shovel. Is it absolutely essentil to invest in a pinpointer probe?

Welcome to Friendly

Having been a bounty hunter user some years ago, I can't say enough good things about First Texas' warranty. In hindsight, I did find the unit to be a bit
out of balance and arm tiring. I found more than enough goodies to pay for it. I did start with a White, and bought the BH, and now am back to White's products with no plans on going elsewhere. Your Time Ranger was top of the line a few years ago, but now since FT took over Fisher, the best of both are available in their new products.
As far as a pinpointer go'es, it is a must in my kit. They speed recovery in my opinion, and are worth the investment. Sun Ray probes are the best, hands down. They are also expensive, and I would'nt buy one unless you know you will be keeping the machine you have simply because they are tuned to that paticular coil and won't be of much use if you go with another brand....Gil

Welcome aboard... yes, a pinpointer is a valuable accessory. A time saver, and, in many cases, will find the target for you when, without it, you will give up. HH RickO

Welcome to the forum.
Nothing wrong with a bounty hunter. The time ranger was their best. grinsebring Had a point , the ergonomics were poor and made it uncomfortable.
I do not believe it is hip mountable so you have to deal with it on the pole.
Good Luck.

As my granny used to say, "Dance with the one what brung ya."

The BH will be just fine to get started. This hobby tries YOU out. If you pass the test, you can always upgrade.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.

All detectors can have good qualities, get out and dig it, if or shall I say when your hooked, you can always upgrade. Welcome from Wisconsin!

Some great friendly advise. Glad I stumbled upn this forum.
I'm about to venture out where I know to be two old cellar holes. I'm sure over the years they have been combed by others. But, before leaving, I have one final question. I have headphones, a trowel and a military issue portable shovel. Is it absolutely essentil to invest in a pinpointer probe?

A pinpointer isnt necessary especially if you are just starting out , but its not a bad investment since they will help you locate certain finds easier. Id suggest that you may be further ahead to invest in a good digging tool designed for metal detecting. The portable shovel could come in handy if you are digging deep holes in the woods, possibly even help around the cellar holes you mentioned , but you will want to use something else on public land for many reasons.

Well, just got back. I went to Fort Ninigret on the waters' edge. Only things I found were 3 pull tabs, old rusty welding rods/pieces of wire fence and 1 bottle cap.

Two funny things happened when I went to grab the detector out of the box. There were accessories like a bag for the detector, fanny pack thingie, digging tool, 10" coil, 4" coil, an AUTOMAX precision V2 pinpointer, rain parker, etc...
Has anyone ver heard of AUTOMAX precision V2 pinpointer? It came with the accessories when I purchased the detector from KellyCo back in 2002.

The main thing I needed that wasn't in the box (I must have lost it years ago) was the owners' manual.
Do you think if I contacted BH, they would send me manual for the Time Ranger?

I had a terrible time trying to wing the set-up and still don't know if I was using it the right way.

Back
Top Bottom