New to the forum, and a question

metalnoob

Hey all! I love the forum/community you have here, been doing some lurking and have learned a ton already! I was wondering though, what is the best digging tool? I have a little hand tool that works well and was made for the hobby, but the palm of my hand is like hamburger after a couple hours.

Thanks!

Lesche with PVC Tee Fitting

I started out with a Ames digger (blue handle), but after snapping it the blade off, I changed over to a lesche. I had the same problem with palm blisters, so I went to the hardware store and got a 3/4"(i think) slip tee fitting. I carved out just enough on the inside so it fits snugly onto the bare lesche handle without glue. It naturally rotates to a effective digging angle, which is not parallel to the blade like I would have thought. I was warned about the pvc snapping, but it seems to be holding up okay.

Buzz makes a very nice aluminum insert if you have 30 bucks... I'm just going to go with my .45c solution until i strike it rich and can buy one from him. :laughing: He is a great craftsman, I can tell. :yes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 232
perhaps a good pair of gloves? before i switched to my kevlar gloves, i used mechanics gloves and they had an extra padded palm area and were great!
oh, and welcome to the forum. :yes:

Pete

I use a Sampson "T" handle (31") while standing up, to cut my flap and flip my plug over, then I get on one knee, and use a small hand digger for the finer exacting work of recovery...

YMMV...

<*)))>{

Welcome from Pennsylvania! I also use the "AMES True Temper" digging tool. I bought it at Ollies a year ago for something like 5 bucks, and it works awesome! Doesn't scoop dirt too well, but it cuts great plugs. I'm sure you can find one at Home Depot or Lowes... Good luck, and HH!

-Rob

Welcome to the Forum, I also use the Ames True Temper and have had it for years with no problem and the price is unbeatable! I use Mechanics gloves and they seem to help tremendously. You're digging lots of holes so I don't think you can avoid some hand, leg and back issues, they are just an unavoidable part of M'Ding :)

I use the small 10 by 10 towel bunched up on top when I am breaking ground. Then I use the towel to hold the dirt from the plug when I have to go deeper. Dirt in the towel is easier to replace the dirt after you find the target. That works for me.

Back
Top Bottom