XP ORX vs. Equinox 800?

Emwonk

With my Etrac on local Craig's list the hunt is on for a new detector.

I was leaning toward Equinox 800 and a new friend here told me about ORX. I saw a couple of videos with the Equinox finding things the AT Pro misses. That looked good. And the ORX looks effective and really simple to use.

I can't find much info about the ORX here. Anyone with experience with the XP and the Equinox -- I would be grateful for your insights.

Thanks

I've never used the XP ORX but after watching a couple of videos on it, it looks like a very nice machine. At $650, it's at the price range of the ML NOX 600.

As I live in Florida, being able to go into the water with a detector was a must, so the ORX would have been out of the running for me.

Good luck and keep us posted.

It depends on what you want to hunt. I have the Deus and the Equinox, the Deus is a little more adjustable than the ORX but they are about the same. If you want to park hunt, I would definitely go with the Equinox for it's more accurate ID. If you are mainly a relic hunter, either is good but I would lean more towards the ORX if your sites are filled with iron trash. Both good detectors though and at about the same price, you can't go wrong with either one.

The Nox is a simultaneous multi frequency and selectable single frequency detector that is supposed to be fully waterproof (there have been many reports of leakage lately but the warranty covers it). It is much lighter than the Etrac with similar audio tones and audio adjustments, much faster recovery speed, better target separation and excellent depth even in mineralized soil. It has very accurate target ID after getting familiar with it but it isn't as good as the Etrac's incredible accuracy. I really like the display and features. It is very good to excellent at every detecting scenario you can think of except maybe submerged in moderate surf conditions and hunting relics in thick iron trash.

The ORX for about the same price as the Nox 600 and cheaper than the Nox 800 is an interesting comparison. Personally, the ergonomics of the ORX/Deus are unbeatable along with the overall recovery speed and target separation of these detectors. The Orx has 21 (I think) one at a time, selectable frequencies depending on which coil comes with it. It is limited to 3 tones maximum in the two discrimination Coin modes. The Gold modes are good for prospecting, relic hunting and dry sand beach hunting since they are true threshold based all metal modes with an Iron Audio Reject feature that helps tone down iron audio responses. A big minus is that the moment you submerge the coil in water you will lose contact with the coil's wireless connection unless you buy the underwater kit. So, if you are primarily a relic hunter or detect in areas that are not target rich with lots of aluminum trash, the ORX would be an outstanding choice. If you are looking for a detector that can do everything very well like the Equinox, I would not consider the ORX to be in that category. The audio is somewhat limited adjustment wise and is radically different but full of information when compared to the mellow and somewhat less informative tones and many tone options of the Etrac and Equinox. Also, even though the target ID screen is much bigger on the ORX than the Deus, the numerical target ID function of the Deus and ORX is one of their weakest features since accuracy on deeper targets or targets in high mineralization is very iffy or non-existent and the Deus and ORX become tone only detectors past about 4" in my area in high mineralization. So, the Orx and Deus are unmatched at relic hunting away from lots of modern trash, they are good gold prospecting detectors and can handle some beach conditions. As a day to day modern trash park hunter..............the ORX would be okay for surface to shallow targets if you don't mind wading through lots of trash and depending on what coil you buy.

If you had the money to get both, they would compliment each other very well!!!

Jeff

Last edited:
I've never used the XP ORX but after watching a couple of videos on it, it looks like a very nice machine. At $650, it's at the price range of the ML NOX 600.

As I live in Florida, being able to go into the water with a detector was a must, so the ORX would have been out of the running for me.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks. Waterproof is a nice feature to have.

It depends on what you want to hunt. I have the Deus and the Equinox, the Deus is a little more adjustable than the ORX but they are about the same. If you want to park hunt, I would definitely go with the Equinox for it's more accurate ID. If you are mainly a relic hunter, either is good but I would lean more towards the ORX if your sites are filled with iron trash. Both good detectors though and at about the same price, you can't go wrong with either one.

I like the idea of a detector that handles trash well. I saw a video of the Equinox detecting coins right next to an iron bar. That seems impressive.

The Nox is a simultaneous multi frequency and selectable single frequency detector that is supposed to be fully waterproof (there have been many reports of leakage lately but the warranty covers it). It is much lighter than the Etrac with similar audio tones and audio adjustments, much faster recovery speed, better target separation and excellent depth even in mineralized soil. It has very accurate target ID after getting familiar with it but it isn't as good as the Etrac's incredible accuracy. I really like the display and features. It is very good to excellent at every detecting scenario you can think of except maybe submerged in moderate surf conditions and hunting relics in thick iron trash.

The ORX for about the same price as the Nox 600 and cheaper than the Nox 800 is an interesting comparison. Personally, the ergonomics of the ORX/Deus are unbeatable along with the overall recovery speed and target separation of these detectors. The Orx has 21 (I think) one at a time, selectable frequencies depending on which coil comes with it. It is limited to 3 tones maximum in the two discrimination Coin modes. The Gold modes are good for prospecting, relic hunting and dry sand beach hunting since they are true threshold based all metal modes with an Iron Audio Reject feature that helps tone down iron audio responses. A big minus is that the moment you submerge the coil in water you will lose contact with the coil's wireless connection unless you buy the underwater kit. So, if you are primarily a relic hunter or detect in areas that are not target rich with lots of aluminum trash, the ORX would be an outstanding choice. If you are looking for a detector that can do everything very well like the Equinox, I would not consider the ORX to be in that category. The audio is somewhat limited adjustment wise and is radically different but full of information when compared to the mellow and somewhat less informative tones and many tone options of the Etrac and Equinox. Also, even though the target ID screen is much bigger on the ORX than the Deus, the numerical target ID function of the Deus and ORX is one of their weakest features since accuracy on deeper targets or targets in high mineralization is very iffy or non-existent and the Deus and ORX become tone only detectors past about 4" in my area in high mineralization. So, the Orx and Deus are unmatched at relic hunting away from lots of modern trash, they are good gold prospecting detectors and can handle some beach conditions. As a day to day modern trash park hunter..............the ORX would be okay for surface to shallow targets if you don't mind wading through lots of trash and depending on what coil you buy.

If you had the money to get both, they would compliment each other very well!!!

Jeff

Wow. Thanks for an incredible deep assessment. That's seeming to lean back to the Equinox for me. Good ID deep is hard to beat.

I have had the eq600 and both deus and orx. I have mild soil where I live. I liked the eq600 but I prefer the xp orx to the equinox. I am not going to get into a shooting match between the units other than this;

1. I think the equinox is a great coin shooting detector. It is light and easy to use. It works pretty good in the multi freq mode. However I prefered to use single freq and it ran much smoother. It has less numbers to memorize for targets and is a pretty good machine. It does pretty good for relic hunting too.

2. I think the ORX is a better machine in trashy areas. It finds coins very well and it is an excellent relic machine. It is faster and lighter than the equinox. I sniffed out more targets with an ORX in the same area that I swung my equinox.

3. If you were going to search on a beach any at all get the equinox If your going into the salt water. If you live near highly mineralized ground areas I understand the eq does better in those conditions.

4. If you live in mild soil conditions and are not going to the beach get the ORX. I find it performs way better than the equinox did in my medium to mild soil conditions. In my soil the ORX is deeper and my target ID on those deep targets are very accurate. I have dug several coins past the 10 inch mark with my ORX. I have found 18 musket balls on my own land with my ORX where my EQ600 only found 2 in the exact same area. Several were deep and were the smaller 36 caluber type.

Now I will give credit to the eq600 for finding the 2 musket balls. My other big dogs missed those I had search with in the same area. As soon as I tried out my ORX out there it was like I had never searched that spot before.

5. I think the over all build quality of the ORX is better than the equinox too.

After trying the XP ORX I have sold every other machine I had. I also had a deus for a while too. Between the deus and the ORX you get the exact same depth and performance with the same coil size and freq used. The deus has very very many adjustments. It is a spectacular machine in itself. I have now sold my deus set up and going to stick with my ORX. The XP name brand is the best units I have ever owned and I have tried just about everything out there minus an etrac and ctx3030.

Good luck!!

Either way your going to like either one better than your older etrac for one main reason especially...the weight factor alone.

Last edited:
"I sniffed out more targets with an ORX in the same area that I swung my equinox. "

That's what I like to hear.

And what I've been reading about Equinox quality concerns me.

If I want to beach hunt I have a stingray and a Cz21. So I'm covered there.

Last edited:
"I sniffed out more targets with an ORX in the same area that I swung my equinox. "

That's what I like to hear.

And what I've been reading about Equinox quality concerns me.

If I want to beach hunt I have a stingray and a Cz21. So I'm covered there.

I think the ORX is more water proof than the EQ:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom