Very Cool Old Strange Bottle

Kyle365777

Can anyone tell me anything about it?
100_0136.jpg

100_0137.jpg

100_0138.jpg

100_0143.jpg

wow that's wild it kind of reminds me of a cross between Mr.Peanut and Aunt Jemima :laughing: Very Unique and interesting bottle...

Cool bottle. Confusing, because it reminds me of a man's hat, but they are holding what looks like a purse. I would guess it had some type of spirits in it. Really nice find :)

Let us know if you figure it out. The face is pretty crude, so it definitely is old and probably worth some $$$

:laughing:Mrs. Butterworth meets Mary Poppins meets Frosty the Snowman meets Abe Lincoln meets Mr. Peanut meets Aunt Jamima.....wheew. That's a mouthful!! Cross dressing as well. I'm confused by this one for sure!
I've never seen one of those. Nice.

:laughing: Mrs.Buttersworth, that's what i meant...All those syrup ladies you know... easy to get them mixed up. I dont really see any glass makers marks on the bottle either...i see two things that could possibly be a makers mark, The circle that is a bit north of center, and i cant exactly tell if the mark at about 6 o' clock, is an 8, or some kind of symbol.. but i think its an 8...

:laughing: Mrs.Buttersworth, that's what i meant...All those syrup ladies you know... easy to get them mixed up. I dont really see any glass makers marks on the bottle either...i see two things that could possibly be a makers mark, The circle that is a bit north of center, and i cant exactly tell if the mark at about 6 o' clock, is an 8, or some kind of symbol.. but i think its an 8...

Bottle maker is Owens Illinois I think... see below for how to date.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,288
I Guess i could just not see the I in the Saturn, i actually have found a few Owens Illinois bottles myself recently, however the Saturn mark is very distinguishable compared to this one.

I would definitely say do not wash that paint off, that more than likely is the part of the bottle that is usually missing/gone..that and the cork.( I am guessing )

Whatever you do,don't clean it! The one for sale could be a reproduction for $35.They may have all came painted originally.You knock the paint off and make it look new,you actually decrease not only the value,but the amount of collectors.Some people hate clean bottles.They even like the dirt stains in the corners,etc.

It looks like a "Carrie Nation" bottle with the original stopper and some original paint.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/605/Bottle_Figure_of_Carrie_Nation

Doug

Turtle foot is right, i searched the name and found some more information on another forum

You are right. I just found this at http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/January 2005/january_2005_questions__ask_digg.htm
I have seen several of these. I think they have a value around $20-25. Embossed on bottom is "DES PAT 81611" . That number was registered in 1930. It has been suggested that Ben H. Wilson of Toledo, Ohio, patented the design for the bottle on July 15th, 1930 and it was produced by the Owens-Illinois Bottle Company of Huntington, West Virginia. The bottle was used to dispense vinegar. The name "Carie A. Nation" was given to the bottle by collectors, but it had no specific name originally. (Carry A. Nation, was a temperance leader in the early 1900s. She gained national reputation delivering lectures and public prayers.) Digger

However yours Does not have the Patent; yours is "Patent Applied For" Which makes me think your bottle predates the July 15th 1930 mark when the patent was registered..this could be a pretty rare find?

Here is the link : http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-202730/mpage-1/tm.htm#202867

I AM NOT CLAIMING TO BE THE AUTHOR OF THIS INFORMATION

Back
Top Bottom