It's time to eliminate the penny

The penny is a mandatory denomination. A dollar is just to valuable.
Their math will never add up. If it wasn't a big deal then millions of financial transactions per day wouldn't need to include fractions of pennies. You better believe they would never give it up, why should I?

I read that the half cent was eliminated in about 1857. The purchasing power of a half cent in 1857 is equivalent to that of a dime today. So really, we could easily eliminate both the cent and the nickel. In 1975, I could buy a daily paper for 10 cents, now it's $1.00 or more.

The military exchange stores in Europe eliminated the penny years ago. They use the rounding system discussed in the linked article. The people I spoke with while in Germany don't seem to care one way or the other.

penny

I'm guessing the banks are behind this. If they do all the rounding up in their favour, that would equate to millions in profit. If they round down for you and me.....they'll also make millions lol.

Mathematically, you need something with the value of 1 or you're screwed.

I'm guessing the banks are behind this. If they do all the rounding up in their favour, that would equate to millions in profit. If they round down for you and me.....they'll also make millions lol.

Mathematically, you need something with the value of 1 or you're screwed.

Mathematically speaking, it also helps if you have the value of 0. ;)

Eliminating the penny is a terrible idea. In Michigan we pay 6 cents on the dollar in taxes, well if you eliminate the penny were not going to pay 5 cents it will be ten cents. So instead of paying 6 dollars in taxes for every hundred you spend, you will now be paying ten dollars...and thats not good....

Very good strong opinions. Your right. The taxes in Michigan would have to go down or up. Preferably down, but that is highly doubtful. Ill just keep collecting mixed copper pennies until they are pulled from circulation.

Strange math... Regardless of you purchase total, you don't stand to lose more than 4 cents on the total exchange. Same with interest or stocks, the currently get rounded to the nearest penny, only if you are buying or sell, all of what your holding. Currency is for cash exchanges, and it's just a few pennies, literally per exchange. Might add up to a dollar or two in a year, but what sorts of things can you actually buy for just one penny? A nickle, or even a single dime? Not a whole lot of value there...

The military exchange stores in Europe eliminated the penny years ago. They use the rounding system discussed in the linked article. The people I spoke with while in Germany don't seem to care one way or the other.

That is because it is an isolated, managed bubble economy overseas and they have to pay a lot of money to ship currency there. Aside from that, who's going to complain? If they did, who's going to listen?

Back
Top Bottom