Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Default HELP A SOLDIER AT Fort Meade, Maryland

I have recently joined the Air National Guard and will be up at Fort Meade, Maryland for 4 months for training. I will have weekends off so I am DEFINETLY going to be packing my detector. I don't know much about the area at all, but to hunt some colonial area, it would be an absolute dream come true! It will be a LONG 4 months away from my wife and kid over the holiday/winter months, so I am banking on some help to kill the time!

Would anyone be willing to help me out and either point me in the right direction or let me tag along with you somewhere to get to some places to swing near Fort Meade? Soldiers have some off-base travel restrictions, which means staying within 20 miles/1 hour of base radius. We can exceed that with permission, but I am not sure how often or how easy it will be to get that special permission.

ANY INFO WOULD BE WONDERFUL! THANKS!

Old 07-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Grammar Police

Since you just joined the Air Guard, you are no longer a soldier but an Airman.
There, I just helped a soldier
Good Luck and happy hunting

Old 07-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Hardy-har-har... good one. heh

Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Elite Member

Exclamation ChrisMD

Took me for a hunt their one time, i found 3 button's, also pulled 2 ticks off of me, one was a deer tick, they are heavy at Fort Meade, it looked like a tiny seed on my inner leg, scratched it off, put it under a 10x jewelers loop , sure enough it was a deer tick, had a good time , but could have been a lot worse , if i didn't catch those ticks, happy hunting Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword built by Gary Storm, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 07-03-2017, 07:48 PM

I went to photo school there then ended up moving back there because wife got stationed there. If you can, make it to the ghost town of Daniels. Patapsco Valley State Park 81628196 Alberton Rd Windsor Mill, MD 21244. There are some old ruins there from when the town was flooded.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/...tion-memories/

If you get a chance you can come out to West Virginia 1 1/2 hours away and you can hunt some of my permissions with me. One spot is a Farm house and property that was built in 1824 where I just found a 1796 liberty cap large cent. Another one is lots oft Farm land where a house once stood in the late 1700's/early 1800's. The last place is an old civil war hospital site the only problem with this place is the people that owned it in the 50-70's buried a lot of cars and car part throughout the property.

Rob

Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Hey vfxdaddy, that sounds awesome! I have got lot of awesome advise on hunting locations and it sounds like all of them are about an hour or so away. Which if I can make it happen you can count me in WITHOUT QUESTION! but I am not sure how well I will be able to get around out there. but I am thinking a day or 5 of renting a car will be in order! I will definitely get ahold of you before I get shipped out. I have 2 months of training in San Antonio before I get sent up to Fort Meade, but once I get my dates I will have a better idea of when I will actually get up to MD. But I am a rain or shine type so you can count on me.

It seems like an awesome area for beepin. I question if I ever get back in the area so I want utilize my time up there as best as possible. so thank you SO MUCH! for the offer. I am going to PM you my contact info so we can stay in contact.

PS whats your wives AFSC? (MOS?) just out of curiosity... I am a Broadcast Journalist for the AF

Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Surf - how old were those buttons you found? and did you find them actually ON the base?

I am assuming I will have a difficult time finding transportation from base to anywhere I will want to beep, so I am doing a lot of research on the base, and the properties on the base since they are within walking distance. But I am praying to find some colonial finds. (NOTE: I know the buttons you found are prob not colonial, that was a general statement heh)

Old 07-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

I bet there are some guys you could ask at Fort Meade. They seem to know everything

Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 PM
OldCherryPicker

Come to the MARS club meeting the last weds of the month. There are a couple members who are stationed at Fort Meade. Also a few regular members that hunt there also. They do O.K., if you do come mention as a visitor at the meeting your agenda.

2017 ...Gold rings..67
.. Silver/Sterlings 89

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by OBN View post
Come to the MARS club meeting the last weds of the month. There are a couple members who are stationed at Fort Meade. Also a few regular members that hunt there also. They do O.K., if you do come mention as a visitor at the meeting your agenda.
THANKS! ill have a look! sounds like it would be an awesome resource!

Old 07-07-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by radryan505 View post
THANKS! ill have a look! sounds like it would be an awesome resource!
If you know any of them/are buddies with them on the forums, could you send them my way? I don't have my dates yet, but I know it will be over the fall/winter months. So I have some time, but I want to get this locked down and to know some names prior to me getting up there would be AWESOME!

Thanks again

Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 PM
OldCherryPicker

Originally Posted by radryan505 View post
If you know any of them/are buddies with them on the forums, could you send them my way? I don't have my dates yet, but I know it will be over the fall/winter months. So I have some time, but I want to get this locked down and to know some names prior to me getting up there would be AWESOME!

Thanks again
I don't think any of them are on the forums, and since they are land hunters I really don't know there names since I mingle with the water hunters only. Just drop by when the time comes at the club meeting and let us know your there and I'm sure several will be more then happy to help.

2017 ...Gold rings..67
.. Silver/Sterlings 89

Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

Post Ww1

If you go their spray down for ticks, and have your wife scrub you down with a bar of soap in one hand, and a magnify glass in the other howboutit happy hunting,, Earl PS LOL OBN on the dirt section, i bet you haven't hunted dirt since we last hunted dirt howboutit
Attached Images

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword built by Gary Storm, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10