Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 07-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Default Need help picking a shovel

I just can't decide if I would like the new whites ground hawg or if I want one of those lesche sampson shovels. Any tips, advice or all around buy this one type info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Elite Member

Lesche and Sampson are two different things. Lesche is a plug cutter and Sampson is a shovel. I recommend them both.

Fisher F70, Fisher F2, 2017 clad: $48.23, Silver coins: 17, Indian heads: 1, Wheaties: 35, Gold rings: 1, Silver rings: 3, Total clad: $282.42, (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 37, Gold rings: 4

Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by Mrgrady View post
I just can't decide if I would like the new whites ground hawg or if I want one of those lesche sampson shovels. Any tips, advice or all around buy this one type info would be greatly appreciated.
I have the Lesche hand digger and a 31" Sampson...use them both and can't hunt without them in my clay and rock filled dirt especially in the dry times.
Don't know what the Whites co. does about breaking or bending that happens with their tools, (2 year warranty in their info), but WW mfg. has a lifetime warranty on theirs.
If anything ever happens you send it in and they send you back a new one no questions asked...on all of their tools.
These tools are tough but not indestructible especially if you pry way too much like I do.
I broke two hand diggers way beyond two years use, one got bent prying up big iron in concrete like drought hardened dirt, the other trying to pry up ice in the winter which weakened them and then eventually broke them, others have bent or broke their Sampsons after pushing them too far and getting caught on unbreakable roots or huge rocks and we all sent ours in and got new ones within a week.
A lifetime warranty is like money in the bank to me, tough as I am on my tools, and I would choose a company that has one over one that doesn't every time.

Buy once, buy forever...just don't mod them because it kills the warranty.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Elite Member

I don't have any experience with the Hawg. All I can say is that I've used the Lesche digger and the 31' Sampson T handle for years. At least for me, it's exactly the right combination. Couldn't be more convenient or effective.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Lesche Sampson 31" T handle

I have the Lesche Samson 31" T handle digger and love it! Cuts much neater plugs than a smaller hand digger, but is much less conspicuous.

My buddy uses the Lesche Sampson 18" T handle and he really likes it too.

We both also carry the Garrett hand digger, and it's just "OK".

I sharpen both mine once or twice a year and it helps.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Supporter

I got my Lesche 31" Samson about a month ago after messing around with inadequate other types of shovels, and at first I was a little skeptical as it seemed dull. It is self sharpening though and now I love the thing, it cuts very nice plugs even in Bermuda grass. I would not hunt without it when I'm not in a city park situation. I use the Lesche hand digger for those sites.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

The Whites looks interesng if you're woods or agri fields hunter. The things I immediately dislike is it's length and that bright color.

I own the 18" Sampson, 31" Sampson, 28" Ground Shark. The 31" is my favorite, but the 18" Mini is nice for those times where the lowest profile is wise. I hunt a lot of parks.

I could get interested in the Whites if they offered it in a length less than 36". The blade dimensions are intriguing.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

Being used to seeing the large shovels in parks, it was several years before I broke down and bought one. I got a 31" Sampson but it kept banging against my leg while I was walking. Next I bought an 18" Sampson which I still use most of the time. Unlike most people I carry it with the handle down and no, I am not going to fall and stab myself. This way it doesn't swing while you walk giving you better balance and it is hardly noticeable. I have carried it this way now for several years without any problems. I made a cheap carrier as you can see in the picture. I can also use it with my 31" and even carry it with the handle in the carrier if I want. For deeper coins I can cut a better plug with it than I can a digger.
Name:  Hanger.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  153.5 KB
Name:  Hanger2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  160.8 KB
Name:  Hanger3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  175.9 KB

Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Wow! You guys do some serious digging. I'm fortunate that my area coin hunting doesn't require anything larger than my Gator and I seldom use that. Mainly a probe and tweezers or sometimes a hunting knife and large spoon.
Marvin
PS, I also realize that use of the Deep Seeking machines may require larger diggers.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Default all you need

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Elite Member

Smile

It depends on where you are going to hunt.

City parks and urban areas, especially in large cities, you better stick with a hand digger (Leshe digging tool, the Hori Hori knife, and the Predator Tools Raptor are favorites) and/or the itty bitty Sampsons. For your own property and rural areas, you can go bigger, and choose a real shovel, something like Predator Tools's Raven or Piranha.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by backwater View post
The problem with that is that is what most people think of as a shovel. it brings to mind huge holes left in lawns and parks. The Sampson's aren't quite so noticeable.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GA_Boy View post
Wow! You guys do some serious digging. I'm fortunate that my area coin hunting doesn't require anything larger than my Gator and I seldom use that. Mainly a probe and tweezers or sometimes a hunting knife and large spoon.
Marvin
PS, I also realize that use of the Deep Seeking machines may require larger diggers.
Marvin,what machine do YOU use?

1 members found this post helpful.