Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Elite Member

Default Old school

Found an old school hear me that was used from the 30s to the 70s. I looked up the property map and it's owned by the county board of education. Do I need permission to detect a place where no one goes or is it still considered public grounds? Am I shooting myself in the foot by asking permission?

The newer version of the school is across town

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Supporter

Since you are asking, I guess if it was me in this situation, I'd roll up and give it a quick cursory sweep to see if its even worth the trouble.. At least then you will know whether its worth the effort, has been formerly highgraded etc.........Imagine the wasted energy expended gaining 'permission' first just to find a dry hole?...Wasted effort! Every site and situation is unique...hard to give a solid 'do this' reply...

If however, you roll up and start hitting massive old silver unopposed, virgin site with Mercs laying all over the place and Walker halfs every other swing.. If you can go there day after day without anybody saying one diddly damn, why on Earth would you then seek permission?

Or, ask permission first and get a big fat NO from some office girl and move on with your life......do whatever you feel is right...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

I hunt plenty of properties owned by the local board of Ed. Never had any issues, never asked. Plenty of my taxes go for paying to keep the schools going, (plus 4 kids currently in them) doubt they could care less about an empty lot. I wouldn't hit an active school while classes were in session but once out it's fair game. About 7 years ago they bulldozed 1/2 a dozen schools in my district, some they rebuilt on, other are now just empty lots. I've hit every empty one here multiple times. Plenty of people have seen me, including LEO's. Had a few looky loos ask if I had any luck but never a complaint.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Elite Member

thanks guys. I'm gonna go hit the property and see what i find

Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Since you are asking, I guess if it was me in this situation, I'd roll up and give it a quick cursory sweep to see if its even worth the trouble.. At least then you will know whether its worth the effort, has been formerly highgraded etc.........Imagine the wasted energy expended gaining 'permission' first just to find a dry hole?...Wasted effort! Every site and situation is unique...hard to give a solid 'do this' reply...

If however, you roll up and start hitting massive old silver unopposed, virgin site with Mercs laying all over the place and Walker halfs every other swing.. If you can go there day after day without anybody saying one diddly damn, why on Earth would you then seek permission?

Or, ask permission first and get a big fat NO from some office girl and move on with your life......do whatever you feel is right...
Your posts are always a good read. I wish I had that vivid a vocabulary.

, 7 Indianheads,
134 Wheats, 1 V-Nickel, 8 tokens.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

Mud puppy is correct. Try it out, you lost your class ring here recently?

Old 07-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Grammar Police

Yes, you are shooting yourself in the foot by asking permission.

If it makes you feel better, look at the ordinances for your town and see what it says about "detecting" probably nothing at all...

Old 07-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Elite Member

I think we worry more about yes or no on all of these sites. I have never been told NO on any public property. I hit a lot of schools but always on a weekend.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by demyansk1942 View post
..... I hit a lot of schools but always on a weekend.
Why not go on a weekday ? You have something to hide ? "Sneaking around" ? And as for never having been told "no", how do you know that's because you haven't asked or seen the right person ? Hence "... you've just been lucky so far".

Tsk tsk. So now we expect you to do the responsible ethical right thing and go ask. Only THEN can you know ifor anyone cared or not. Go make us all proud.