303 casing? Age???

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
I believe I found a 303 casing (K2 1941 and a WI on the opposite side). Any ideas on how to age it :?:

Attachments

• 303r.jpg
    303r.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 630
Well the year is quite obvious..1941 :P K2 means it was manufactured by Imperial Chemical Industries Kynoch factory at Standish, Lancastershire, UK. W1 means armour piercing round Mark 1

Voriax

Voriax said:
Well the year is quite obvious..1941 :P K2 means it was manufactured by Imperial Chemical Industries Kynoch factory at Standish, Lancastershire, UK. W1 means armour piercing round Mark 1

Voriax
Well that was certainly fast :lol: Thanks for the information. Now, why was someone using something like that at some old hunting club :shock:

OZ_IL said:
Voriax said:

Voriax
Well that was certainly fast :lol: Thanks for the information. Now, why was someone using something like that at some old hunting club :shock:

303 was the standard British and Commonwealth cartridge from 1889 until the 1950s, when it was replaced by the 7.62 x 51 mm NATO round, and in the 1980s by the 5.56 x 45 mm NATO (.223 inches) in most roles. There likely was a huge surplus sell-off of 303 rifles, hence the reason they were so popular with sportsmen & collectors. The surplus ammo was probably pretty cheap too back in the day.

A lot of folks around here still deer hunt with .303's. Like Gil said,the war surplus was a source for cheap hunting rifles and ammo. As far as age, it could be anywhere from WWII till there was no one left with the nerve to fire off a round that old :lol: Best guess though would be 50's. Could be some silver there. :yes:

When i was in high school I worked in a sears sporting goods dept part time. You could buy a British Enfield surplus rifle .303 calibre for around 19 dollars.......Not any more. That was in the sixties though before most of you were born. You know the good old days.... :roll:....Gil, the one in Florida

Back
Top Bottom