Tones

kshollywood

My minelab has multiple tones. Should I use all 99? 1? 2? 4? How many should I use. I mainly relic hunt but I want to find gold, coins, relics, jewelry, anything of value. Just was wondering the advantages or disadvantages of multi tones or the same for 2 tones.

In the "99" mode, you really only get 99 tones in All Metal. If you use a DISC pattern you have 28 tones. One for each of the 28 notch segments.

It's really a matter of preference. I like 99 tones, mostly because I hunt in AM a lot. I also spend a lot of time sorting out good targets from trash, so bring able to hear all the differences helps tons.

The problem I am having is that I was running one of the factory presets and was curious so I put a half dime someone found on the ground and found out it didn't even pick the dime up. I was running that all day so now I wonder what I missed. So the next time I went I ran all metal and found 3 mini balls and a trigger guard of an old gun, I haven't identified the trigger gaurd yet.

Whenever you DISC out anything, you run a risk of missing something.
You can modify those patterns to suit anything that you want. Once you get some practice in, and learn the approximate TIDs of desireable targets, or undesireable targets that you may be plagued with, dialing in custom patterns is a snap.

Also, if you're hunting low trash areas, and especially if you are more interested in relics and coins than gold, then I would suggest that you entertain the thought of a 3kHz coil. The only downside to me of the 3kHz coil, is that they don't have a DD version.....yet. The LF coil punches deeper in mild soil conditions than I'd have believed after using both the 10.5" HF DD and two different 7.5kHz coils. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to take it off.

If its an xterra go to minelabs site and read diggers ebook. If you have had your Machine long enough. You will understand. If not practice with the machine some. more. I was shocked at how much of a difference this made;

That was going to be in my next post.

Randy was in on the Beta testing of the X-Terra line, and has written a free-to-download e-book called "Understanding Your X-Terra". All you have to do is log onto the Minelab site to get it. Understanding how it works the way it works will cut your learning curve considerably. The book has all kinds of little side note tips too.

When you finally realize how much machine that you bought, and how flexible & capable it is, you will always want one in the stable....regardless of whatever else you buy.

Kind of bums me out. Instead of selling one to put into the next, I just keep buying ones that I want to hang on to.
:roll:

Back
Top Bottom