Coin Roll Hunting

Marldain

Forum Supporter
What denomination have you had the best luck with?

How do you return them to the bank?

What is your most favorite find?

My favorite denomination is Halves, but I probably do more nickels than halves since halves are a little more of a hassle for banks to deal with:

How do I return them to the bank:

I buy from one (sometimes 2) banks, and dump at about 4 banks once a week. I bring them in in jars and they give me cash.
I also bring in cookies from time to time for all my tellers.

Best nickel box: (2 silver Nickels and 3 Buffalos)
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=112680

Best Half dollar bag: (190 silver halves)
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=96580

Good luck

Rule of thumb, never ever return coins to the same bank u buy from! Always have a minimum of two banks, one buy bank, one dump bank...minimum.

Halves have been my best for silver

What denomination have you had the best luck with?

How do you return them to the bank?

What is your most favorite find?

Tough questions...

1.) Halves are the largest ROI by weight....BUT they are fickle and can cause headaches in getting rid of them and attaining them. We have had the most luck finding silver simply rolling around and getting loose coins/rolls from small banks and have had very little success so far with boxes. Unlike a box of pennies, halves are $500 a pop so much bigger outlay which may be undesirable for some. They also, for us at least need to be ordered and it may be wise to have a friend as a teller! We have gotten most of our silver from halves, and you will see King Tots and others that have HUGE success with them as well :D

2) We use coin counting machines. You can roll and we have before, but at least with halves it annoys tellers and you really have to stagger them (unless you have a teller friend!). Dimes, nick, quarters pennies are all easier to dump, spend, etc.. I would recommend trying and seeing what works depending on your banking situation and needs.

3.) Our first 1964 90% half was a treat!!

Good Luck!

My favorite denomination is Halves, but I probably do more nickels than halves since halves are a little more of a hassle for banks to deal with:

How do I return them to the bank:

I buy from one (sometimes 2) banks, and dump at about 4 banks once a week. I bring them in in jars and they give me cash.
I also bring in cookies from time to time for all my tellers.

Best nickel box: (2 silver Nickels and 3 Buffalos)
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=112680

Best Half dollar bag: (190 silver halves)
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=96580

Good luck

Wow that half score is MIND BLOWING!

halves USED to be my best for silver

...but it takes WELL over a year for the half bag to fill up at my bank (they will not sell partial bags)

I've had NO luck buying $1000 boxes

so I've been CRH pennies...guys at work will buy the common coppers for 2 cents each, and I find a lot of wheaties

out of 5000 pennies ($50) I'll find about 2000 coppers...free money!

halves USED to be my best for silver

...but it takes WELL over a year for the half bag to fill up at my bank (they will not sell partial bags)

I've had NO luck buying $1000 boxes

so I've been CRH pennies...guys at work will buy the common coppers for 2 cents each, and I find a lot of wheaties

out of 5000 pennies ($50) I'll find about 2000 coppers...free money!

Just curious; which bank has these larger bags, ours fill up at $100:?: and they will NOT sell them.

We want to try boxes of pennies too!

my credit union fills up the half dollar bag to $1000..and I'm thinking that after the first of this year they will not sell them :mad::mad::mad: as I heard a rumor

lately I like pennies, and with the proceeds I just BUY my silver

getting halves is not hard, at least not at banks that you have accounts with. When I set up my accounts, I asked the bank manager if I could order boxes of coins EVERY week with NO fees if I set up an account, they agreed and I have a standing order that I go and pick up every single week.

Same at my dump bank, I asked the manager there if I could dump 1,500 a week in loose coins with NO fees if I opened an account and she agreed as well.

ALWAYS tell them your intentions up front, save yourself a LOT of headaches!

getting halves is not hard, at least not at banks that you have accounts with. When I set up my accounts, I asked the bank manager if I could order boxes of coins EVERY week with NO fees if I set up an account, they agreed and I have a standing order that I go and pick up every single week.

Same at my dump bank, I asked the manager there if I could dump 1,500 a week in loose coins with NO fees if I opened an account and she agreed as well.

ALWAYS tell them your intentions up front, save yourself a LOT of headaches!

Agreed that its not hard to physically get them by the box, but in our experiences these *generally* have had lower yields than customer rolled halves...thats why we prefer to bounce around to different smaller banks. I wholeheartedly agree that its a good idea to make sure they are aware of what's happening. We simply said we are collectors! We haven't ever had issues with fees, but my primary bank branch wasn't interested in ordering halves - friends and friendly tellers are helpful as well to ensure smooth transactions and happiness, especially when having to wheel out the ole boxes of halves :lol:

agreed....my best scores have been hand rolls and bags from counters, but boxes have paid off as well, my best box had over 80 silver halves.....while my best ever $500 dollar bag from a machine had 271 silver halves!!!!!!

KT strictly runs halves now....tried dimes and some quarter rolls starting off but not much found so got into halves. KT has a standing order of 5 boxes...thats $2500 worth a week...no hassle in returning the coins, just take them to a different branch and dump in their coin machine. Have had from 0 to 69 silvers recovered per week doing this...most of the time it is from 1 to 8, but sometimes KT gets hold of some fed rolls that made it through the local bank, onto the fed and were rerolled, or were dumped in a coin machine somewhere and made it in bags to the Fed which rolled them, boxed them, and shipped out to the bank supplier when ordered! Gotta love it when a Treasure Box shows up! KT gets excited when an ender shows up, cause that usually means that the box is a GOOD one! Odds are low that there will be a silver on the end of the roll unless there are a fair number of silvers in the roll/box!

Hope you have success and enjoy whatever you find...hunting is a big part of the hobby and if you don't get much, well....there's always NEXT WEEK! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom