More coin roll hunting today..

Old Digger

Will post a pic tomorrow, but here's the day...

Went across the street to a bank I don't deal with, they exchanged my $100 of halves for 10 more rolls, and I also traded in $90 of the new dollars for $90 of quarters.

Walked back home, not one good coin! Got in the car.

Hit 7 banks within 30 miles, and only found 2 banks with any halfs, 2 each at each bank! BUT 3 were 40% Kennedys, so I bought them. Had $188.00 in cash (One bank I had stopped at bought all of them for a customer who loves to go thru them, plus took the quaters (He's gonna be disappointed!) :)

Anyhow, saw a Community bank on the way home and stopped. Asked if they had any halfs, and the head teller said she had $240.00 (maybe $260.00) of them. So... I bought $188 bucks worth which was all the cash I had left.

She went in the vault and brought out about $120, and went back to get the rest. Now get this. All but the last 4 were in one type of hand wrapped wrapper, the others, including some of the second run she made, was in a diffeent type of hand wrapper.

She counted out the $180, and opened one of the second batch, to give me the remaining $8, and my eyes popped as they were all silver.

Got my butt out of there fast and went to a parking lot and started opening wrappers like mad. I FORCED myself to do the wrapper type that I only had 4 of last... the first batch had nothing but 70-84 Kennedys. Got to the last 4 and was shocked when the very first one (of the funny wrappers) was also 70-84 Kennedys. BUT the last 3 were all 65-69 40% silver! (except for about 5)

So I went home with 61 40% coins for the day!

You can bet I will be at their door to buy the other $40-60 bucks worth on Monday morning!

Will post a pic of them tomorrow.

Moral of the story, two days, 2-90%, 88-40% WOO-HOO!

Good night guys, sweet dreams!

Ed

Nice goin' Ed! Thats a pretty good day. I'm still hoping to find some Franklins and walkers.

Wow, nice silver count!

Ive been trying to get halves from my bank, but its a pretty small bank and they rarely get any halves, and if they do, its only 1 or 2 rolls and then takes forever for them to replenish and gain some more halves.

I'll have to start venturing to other banks, but I'm not sure if you have to have an account with them to buy rolls.

oh also, how did u make out with the quarters roll? Ive never had any luck with them, so I dont really do them much.

-kyle

Picture of 61 40% found yesterday.

OK, as promised here is the pic of the 61 I found yesterday.

As for the quarters (I sorted $90.00 worth, all Fed (contractor) rolled...
ZERO silver. Found 1-2007 Canadian mixed in, otherwise zilch.

I had no trouble asking for them, the tellers were quite helpful, just didn't have any to give, and NO, I did not use my bank these were all just banks I drove into and asked for the halfs. Buying from banks is not as difficult as selling them back, but the first bank I went to with the total zero finds.. no halfs or quarters, bought them all from me even tho I was not a customer, so I walked with $190.00 in cash from there. The only time I have ever had a problem with a bank is when trying to get change (work related) and it wasn't the bank my company deals with! They always balk at that.

I think the fact I walked into the others like I WAS a customer, may have helped. None of them asked if I had an account there.

If I have a problem cashing them back in, I will simply go back to my bank or one of the branches (3) within 20 miles, and deposit them into my account. They can't fight that. I'll just not go to that particular branch to ask for halfs for a few months! :)

GHing!

Ed

Attachments

• Coin Roll Hunt Day 2.jpg
    Coin Roll Hunt Day 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 414
Thanks RickO, and as a beginner it's quite encouraging!

Austin1997, is correct. I was simply searching the quarter rolls for any pre '65 coins. The 1970 half dollars were minted on 40% silver planchets and none were released for circulation. All 2.1 million coins from the Denver mint were sold in Uncirculated Mint Sets and 2.6 million from San Francisco were sold in Mint Proof sets. Either should retail for $10 to $15. So 40% silver halfs are only from 65-69 (circulating)

Motor20, I am looking at 2 sites than buy for melt. One is paying $4.07 PER $1.00 face 40%. (2 halfs at 23 grams) and $10.675 per $1.00 face (25 grams) for 90%. This means $1.00 face anything in any catagory of silver.

The other is paying a bit more, but I haven't researched the sites validity or trustworthyness yet.

Oh, for anyone interested in price of .999: currently the same site is paying .475 per ounce, but remember a TROY ounce will pay more, as Troy is a bit more in weight than Avoirdupois (1 oz(troy) = 1.09714) I have at least 8 Troy oz of .999 fine I am thinking of selling too.

And guys, be aware that silver is still going up. Since 2003 it has increased over 200%, where gold has only increased approximatly 85%. China seems to be on a silver buying spree, causing silver prices to increase rapidly.

Anyone thinking of selling their stuff, I might suggest selling gold right now (It's over $1000. an ounce as of Friday) and maybe your silver. BUT: experts are speculating that silver MIGHT reach $30 an oz in the next few months, so it's a gamble either way! :)

Thanks for looking, GHing!

Ed

NOTE: Prices on the melt site were based on Fridays NYMEX close at $16.70 per oz.

Back
Top Bottom