Coin Roll Hunting for my 1st time!

bbader61gv

I cashed out some of my clad at a free coin counter and took my $10 bill to another bank and asked for $10 in pennies!

I went through all 1,000 pennies and found 6 wheaties and 3 canadien cents. I found a 1945, 1946, 1952, 1955, 1956, and 1956D wheaties. The canadien cents were from 65, 79, and 88.

**My Questions for the forum now**

Is finding 6 wheaties high, low, or average for 1000 pennies?
Does the 1965 Canadien cent have any added value?
I have a lincoln penny album and I cant seem to find these modern coins 72S, 68S, 63, and 59. Are those modern coins very rare? Because I looked at the date of all 1000 pennies and nothing turned up.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any responses!

I look through pennies a lot and i average 6 or 7 wheats per $25 box. So i would say you did pretty good.

That's high. I'll go through $25 and pull 9-11 wheaties, and 2-3 canadians.
Those missing dates in your album are not rare. I find a lot of 1972-S cents out here in california. I find fewer 1968-S, but they are still there too. Philadelphia coins are harder to come across here but I do see 1959's occasionally as well as the 63s. For some of the holes I had in my book, I finally broke and went to the coin store and bought BU examples.
Lastly, the 1965 Canadian cent is not rare in itself, but there was an "extra bud" variety that is worth quite a bit. There was also something about small beads/large beads and blunt 5/pointed 5 that made for 4 different varieties like in 1982 in the US when we had 7.

Extra Bud
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/Canada19651cDBlBudVar.htm

Stang1968- Just curious for your album did you actually collect all the 82 version pennies accurately. I dont bother finding out which is copper or not.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I think I am going back today to dig through more pennies.

I tried many times roll hunting halves... and had zero luck. Never tried cents... Since I have a couple gallons of unsearched wheat cents, I figured I already have enough to while away a nasty winter day at some point. RickO

I cashed out some of my clad at a free coin counter and took my $10 bill to another bank and asked for $10 in pennies!

I went through all 1,000 pennies and found 6 wheaties and 3 canadien cents. I found a 1945, 1946, 1952, 1955, 1956, and 1956D wheaties. The canadien cents were from 65, 79, and 88.

**My Questions for the forum now**

Is finding 6 wheaties high, low, or average for 1000 pennies?
Does the 1965 Canadien cent have any added value?
I have a lincoln penny album and I cant seem to find these modern coins 72S, 68S, 63, and 59. Are those modern coins very rare? Because I looked at the date of all 1000 pennies and nothing turned up.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any responses!

Now there's dedication it’s a joke with me I hate pennies and have a whole jar you can buy if you'd like. They just take up space however I like your idea of penny hunting why not. I'd say the average is good but never tired to finds weaties accidentally or on purpose. I hope you find more on your next attempt…

Jamie

Well I have a lincoln penny album I am working on, so thats why I enjoy it. Plus its free. All of my extra wheaties I dont need for my album will get rolled up and sold on ebay most likely. The process would go MUCH quicker if I found these last 4 modern pennies I need, so I wouldnt have to read dates anymore.

Howdy from Canada.
Just thought I'd post my 2 cents on your one cent from 1965.

An interesting thing happened in 1965, as they had trouble striking the coins. According to my Charlton coin book, there were two varities, one had small beads and a flat field, while the second variety has large beads and a field that slopes up to the rim.

As well there were two different styles of the number 5 in 1965. On the first variety the top right of the 5 comes to a point, while the second variety has a square top right edge.

So, to keep things simple...lol...there are actually 4 types and if it is in decent shape I have listed approx values.
-Small bead, pointy 5 - value can range from $2 to $100
-Small bead, blunt 5 - $1 to $100
-Large bead, blunt 5 - $1 to $50
and if you are very lucky, you could have the...
-Large bead, pointy 5 - value of $25 to $275

I would have alot of trouble differentiating as I am not much of a coin whiz, but it would be worth getting someone who knows to take a look at it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stang1968- Just curious for your album did you actually collect all the 82 version pennies accurately. I dont bother finding out which is copper or not.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I think I am going back today to dig through more pennies.

No, I didn't do it accurately. I think that one of them was only released in mint sets, so I know I am missing at least one. To be honest, the 1982's in my book have been there since I was about 11 years old, and i pulled them from circulation. I should go back and do it right now lol!

I bought another $10 in pennys from another bank and got 5 wheaties this time (one from the 30s) and 2 canadian cents (one from 1962). I also upgraded a bunch of pennys from my album and knocked down my modern penny needs to just the 72S, 68S, and 59. I ve been through thousands of pennys and cant found those 3 common coins!!

62 Canadian cent have added value?

I bought another $10 in pennys from another bank and got 5 wheaties this time (one from the 30s) and 2 canadian cents (one from 1962). I also upgraded a bunch of pennys from my album and knocked down my modern penny needs to just the 72S, 68S, and 59. I ve been through thousands of pennys and cant found those 3 common coins!!

62 Canadian cent have added value?

Sorry, I dont think the '62 has any special value. as with most of the common coins it is face value unless it happens to be in some premium condition.

Back
Top Bottom