Big gold coin in Missouri

Blacksnake Hill

Mates. I don't really know what to say. Just one of those days you can never plan for. Out on a farm that has meant a lot to my family for years. Where my mother and I grew up. Where my grandmother was born. Within view of the house built by my great great great grandfather. Happy to find the site that was where the original log cabin had been built in the 1840s. You could never expect a gold double eagle. I had to walk a quarter mile back to the house to get my family and camera to take the clod shot. Never thought I would find a gold coin in the states. Much less the biggest denomination made for circulation. Happy Days! A half sovereign for comparison. We did find the 1865 penny and a pontilled bottle base too. You can guess where I will be! Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 5,589
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5,872
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5,605
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 5,577
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 5,527
Last edited:
Absolutely incredible. And right here in Missouri. Congrats on that coin of 100 lifetimes.

Congratulations! Awesome find! Every time I am in fields hunting, it crosses my mind about gold coins, but I would never expect to find one.

That is a fantastic coin! But what happened to the front of it, looks like a plough ate it up or something...I can't remember ever seeing that coin posted before, incredible!!! HUGE congrats!

Dan..Honestly.. If you asked ANYONE here what would be their ULTIMATE find of a lifetime.. 90% would say What YOU just found there.. 10% would say something about a Key date coin worth a gazillion dollars but YOU.. hit the Holy Grail !!

Huge Congratulations !!!

That's just crazy. I can't imagine how that must have felt to see in the dirt. Congrats! [emoji3166][emoji2956]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wow!!! Congrats on the find of dreams! I hope my day comes... lol nice job!

That is a fantastic coin! But what happened to the front of it, looks like a plough ate it up or something...I can't remember ever seeing that coin posted before, incredible!!! HUGE congrats!

Looks like something hit it while rotating.

........Out on a farm that has meant a lot to my family for years. Where my mother and I grew up. Where my grandmother was born. Within view of the house built by my great great great grandfather. Happy to find the site that was where the original log cabin had been built in the 1840s...…..

Not just in your own state, but what sounds like your own backyard. Congratulations. I'm sure it was a very bad day for the person that lost it, but maybe it was one of your ancestors!

More details. How deep was it and how did it read on your detector? Dime range, but large? Did you think twice about digging it?

It rang like silver dime or quarter. 91 on 17khz on the deus. It was only about 4" down. I dig every non ferrous signal. That was my sixth gold coin. I've never thought any of them would be a gold coin. All the others were very marginal signals in the shotty range. This was different. Thought it was a silver coin. It is a huge bastard!

Holy shite!
That is not just on my bucket list (any gold coin) it is on the bucket list of life!
Huge congratulations right there:shock:

Congrats on the big daddy of gold coins! Those definitely don’t show up often. 1861, same year as mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It rang like silver dime or quarter. 91 on 17khz on the deus. It was only about 4" down. I dig every non ferrous signal. That was my sixth gold coin. I've never thought any of them would be a gold coin. All the others were very marginal signals in the shotty range. This was different. Thought it was a silver coin. It is a huge bastard!

Sixth gold coin? :shock: If you still have them then you really should do a group photo with the Double Eagle!

Here they are. From 150 BC to 1861. The other 5 weigh less than half $20

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5,455
Back
Top Bottom