Cold water wet suits

Casper

This is the one I wear (see pic) - over the last 3 winters I have tried different wet suit combinations - I an very happy with the one I have now - I have not gone the dry suit way because i have gotten hooks and brushed against sharp objects and have been told that if you put a good gash in a dry suit - it soon will turn into a wet suit and fill up - now if you are hunting in six feet of water with a snorkel and a weight belt and this happens - the odds of possibly making it to shore decrease. This 6mm suit keeps me warm and toasty - wind chill does not affect it either - wet suits are made different than they used to be - these cold water suits do not allow for a major water transfer like the older ones did. I wear bathing suit and a sweat shirt under it.

The most important thing about cold water hunting is your hands and feet. That is where you will get frostbite. I had frostbite in my hands as a kid and the cold settles in there fast for me - I have a tough time in the frozen food section at the store. I wear 5mm kevlar gloves from Keene engineering - they also have suits and boots , but I get my suits from Overtons -they are cheaper price - Overtons has cheap dry suits too. Boots I have tried about 10 differnt brands with different thicknesses and from different companies - I use a 5mm or 6mm wet boot. I also wear a warm wet sock inside a latex dry sock which i buy from Bart's watersports. The latex dry sock is thin rubber but allows no water to actually touch your skin which is important - it is a dry suit for your foot and this keeps my feet from freezing. I am going to purchase the latex gloves next to wear under my dive gloves - The gloves are wear are good for cold water - the latex will make them even better. I don't like to wear a hood and usually don't - I keep one in my vehicle and wear in when the water in a little rough.

With the set up i wear - I have hunted for 3+ hours in Jan. & Feb. in the past in Conn. and R.I. waters - I usually get tired before I get cold.

This suit is also nice to put in your water detecting arsenal because it is 3 suits in one. I wear just the farmer john usually in May and June up in New England waters until waters warm by July and Aug. when I can just hunt in my bathing suit and a sweatshirt. I always wear a sweatshirt - keeps the jellyfish off the arms and torso.

The zipper jacket can be worn for diving and for Fall hunting up north - and for Fla. hunters that think 72 degree water temp is cold.

Here is a pic that I posted last year for those that never saw it - heading to the water at a R.I. beach - wind chill was under zero.

How does that rap song go?Insane in the Membrane?
If you were not cold in that weather,that suit will surely work here.
Around these parts it never gets that cold.I think the coldest day was
maybe low to mid 30's.It's 60 right now,and the water temp is 50.
From May till September you don't have to wear anything.Which equals
more tourist that lose more things.It amazes me the things people take
into the water with them.

Hermit - the farmer john part might be just enough for you - unless you are going deep. You could probably go with a 3mm glove and and maybe a 3mm boot with a heavy wet sock or possibly a thin wet sock with a latex sock over it.

Here is link for latex gloves and boots - to wear under regular gloves and boots if interested.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cat...ries/Drysuit_BootiesGlovesNeck_Ring/index.asp

You can shop around for gloves and boots just by doing a Google search - there are hundreds of dive gloves and boot types out there. Overtons and Bart's are good if you are looking for cheap. There are alot expensive ones out there too.

Thanks for the links and info Casper, most definitely if I get into water hunting I think I buy some of these things first, can't stand the cold either, like you I got the FB to my feet skating for 10 hours when I was a kid!

Thank you for the web sites for the gear, I've been thinking about getting a wet suit for some time now. I find that in the hot summers my dry suit is too warm when wading shallow, so maybe a wet suit will keep me cooler. H.H.:-)

Thanks for the links and info Casper.
I ordered a farmer john 2 pc today.Now I've gotta pick some boots & gloves!

casper,

you are probably right to stay away from the dry suit, but not for the reasons you mentioned. i use a dry suit to dredge for gold in the bering strait. the temps at the start of the season are around 28 F and i stay warm. my current suit is 5 years old with no leaks or punctures, but i need 75 lbs on my weight belt, and an additional 10 lbs on each foot to stay upright. that, in my opinion, would be a bit much to drag around to detect. it doesn't make a lot of difference when you are already draging around several hundred pounds of dredge, but that is one reason for the detector. i'm just getting too old to drag the dredge around.

Back
Top Bottom