What happened to this Wheat Penny?

Chipk

Elite Member
I was going through some pennies and this one definitely caught my eye!

It’s a 1918 and it looks like it’s been slapped with the ugly stick. HARD! The wheat sheaves appear on both sides. ONE CENT appears on the face of the coin backwards. The imprinting on the back is weak and stridations run across the back of the coin.

I know that people often disfigure coins but this is so odd, I’m at a loss at how some of this would have been done.

And I’m far from an expert of any kinds in regards to coins.

Anybody have a theory, idea, or absolutely know what happened?

Attachments

• D15CBDCE-A42C-426B-84A5-859B9ECD260F.jpg
    D15CBDCE-A42C-426B-84A5-859B9ECD260F.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 351
  • A9D8D474-8550-47B7-AA5D-5B8BCBD1A70F.jpg
    A9D8D474-8550-47B7-AA5D-5B8BCBD1A70F.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 325
Those straight lines on the reverse side look like they might have came from a vice.

Maybe someone squeezed two pennies together extremely tight in a vice ?

You could try to squeeze two pennies together in a vice to see if it duplicates the same results.

Post mint damage, probably like what GKL said. Or, someone placed another wheat on top of it, and rapped it good once or twice with a hammer.

Those straight lines on the reverse side look like they might have came from a vice.

You could try to squeeze two pennies together in a vice to see if it duplicates the same results.

X2. Pretty cool effect though!

I'd agree with GKL on this one..Kids used to do things like this for amusement before Gameboy...:laughing:
Yep, there's no telling how many I put on the RR track when I was a kid.
There was also some filed down and used as dimes in vending machines.. so I hear... lol

Gary, you are like a master sleuth, excellent call with the vise marks,

Interesting.

But in the sake of science I took several wheats to my shop. I put them in my vise and tightened it as hard as possible. Then smacked them on my anvil with the heaviest hammer I own several times. Other than slightly bending the edge of one, I couldn’t reproduce the marks or transfer the impressions. I have no doubt you are right but it’s puzzling to me.

Interesting.

But in the sake of science I took several wheats to my shop. I put them in my vise and tightened it as hard as possible. Then smacked them on my anvil with the heaviest hammer I own several times. Other than slightly bending the edge of one, I couldn’t reproduce the marks or transfer the impressions. I have no doubt you are right but it’s puzzling to me.

How about a press? I have heard of guys putting coins in a press in some shops that work metal products.

those straight lines on the reverse side look like they might have came from a vice.

☝️☝☝

Gary, you are like a master sleuth, excellent call with the vise marks,

Thanks, but probably because I used to do goofy stuff like that when I was a kid :lol: (and sometimes still do :laughing:)

Interesting.

How about a press? I have heard of guys putting coins in a press in some shops that work metal products.

Jwalker3 has a good point, if a manual vise can't put enough pressure then maybe a hydraulic vise was used ?

I did a search and there are youtube videos of people smashing stuff with a hydraulic press, but since the one side of that penny has vise-like grooves then maybe a hydraulic vise.

Too cool!

Gonna run out to the shop and try that with a couple copper pennies.
I'll post a pic if it works.

And yes Mud.......I don't have a Gameboy. :laughing:

Noah

I found one of our Canada cent with the same thing. If find it will post a picture..my guess also a vice. Mine had no vice lines, will see if can find where I put it.

Back
Top Bottom