Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Question Compass Yukon 77B, 9 volt batteries ?

Hey I just acquired a Compass 77B and it is being powered by three 9 volt batteries according to the person I bought it from, I am not positive but I think the old Compass machines ran on AA batteries. Question is will the 9 volt batteries possibly fry the guts of this detector. Are there any Compass experts in the audience?

Old 11-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Not to sound sarcastic but can't you just look in the battery compartment, since you just aquired it? Should be pretty obvious.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by coinspader View post
Hey I just acquired a Compass 77B and it is being powered by three 9 volt batteries according to the person I bought it from, I am not positive but I think the old Compass machines ran on AA batteries. Question is will the 9 volt batteries possibly fry the guts of this detector. Are there any Compass experts in the audience?
Those are the wrong batteries for sure.
This one operates on 3 packs of 4 AA batteries that were plugged into that same kind of connection.

Can't say if too much power would have done harm but it probably didn't help it out much either.

Keith Wills repairs old detectors and can probably tell you more, tune it up if you need that done....maybe even have the correct battery holders for you.
http://www.brokendetector.com/owner.htm

If not, this is what you need.
https://www.jameco.com/z/BH-343-1A-R...tml?CID=BINGMC

This was a great detector for working in heavy iron sites.
You better have forearms like Popeye to swing it for a decent amount of time, though.
Attached Images

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info, I am going to attempt to shine this one up and bring it back to spec, I thought the 9 volts might be a little too hot for the ole girl. Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by T-Man View post
Not to sound sarcastic but can't you just look in the battery compartment, since you just aquired it? Should be pretty obvious.
No, this will not work. To simply look at the connections will lead you in the wrong direction for this machine. Because the connections LOOK exactly like the type that attach to a 9 volt battery. But instead are meant to go to the type pack that Digger 27 correctly has a pix of.

Coinspader: That's a fun machine for iron-nail ridden ghost-townsy sites. They never got much depth (4 or 5" on coins is all). And lacked any other form of disc, other than to reject individual nails. And don't work in mineralized areas. And are a bear to keep balanced. But the up-side of those machines was that you could scan over 3 or 4 nails and get nothing but null-reject. Yet if you put a coin under those 3 or 4 nails, you could get a beep.

Hence a good nail-see-through machine, to minimize masking.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Elite Member

You can get those battery pods at any Radio shack type store.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:46 PM

thanks for your info Tom, I have a few areas that I hunt that are carpeted with small iron and nails and I really believe that there are some good targets just below the nails so I am going to give the old Compass a shot.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by coinspader View post
thanks for your info Tom, I have a few areas that I hunt that are carpeted with small iron and nails and I really believe that there are some good targets just below the nails so I am going to give the old Compass a shot.
I like your thinking.
That's why I own a Judge 2, just for those occasions.

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.