What happened to this Wheat Penny?

What if you were to anneal a true copper penny and then use a steel wheat. I would think a annealed wheat with a steel wheat in a vise would work pretty easily.

Interesting.

But in the sake of science I took several wheats to my shop. I put them in my vise and tightened it as hard as possible. Then smacked them on my anvil with the heaviest hammer I own several times. Other than slightly bending the edge of one, I couldn’t reproduce the marks or transfer the impressions.

Yep - just what I thought.

Take that coin to several reputable coin shops and get a coconscious of opinions. If it's real it could be worth thousands.

If it's real - get it graded which will also authenticate it to all potential buyers.

What puzzles me is that, on the obverse, on the “LIBERTY” - the “I” and the “B” look to be unaffected by the wheat stalk but the 8 in the date seems to have been partially cutoff by the wheat stalk.

Unless you can exert 30 - 40 tons of pressure (I seem to remember that's what the mint use in the coining press when striking them) on your manual vice then it's not gonna happen.

The press has 2 parts, a 'heads' die (that moves) and a 'tails' die (that's stationary) so if two coins somehow managed to get in there (pretty rare) those lines wouldn't be there, an imprint of the other coin would be there as well as an imprint of the other die, make sense?

Almost certainly happened outside the mint.

The first link was invalid. I didn’t understand what was happening on the third.

Here is the corrected link -

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=293200

The third link was someone smashing coins together with a hydraulic press and showing how they looked afterwards.

.......those vise-like grooves on your coin are what makes me think it is a post-mint change, but I could be wrong. It would be nice if it did turn out to be valuable ! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom