Your Opinion Greatly Appreciated

joe4077

Elite Member
I picked up this chain while detecting at the beach today. The clasp is broken and a little corroded. However it shows a marking of 120 12kt GF. I know it means gold filled. But, is just the clasp gold filled or could the chain be gold filled also? I tested the chain and it seems to show 14k, but I'm not sure if I was reading the acid test right. Does anyone care to venture a guess? Check out the photos and let me know.

BTY, I picked up $2.47 in clad also. It was very cold and windy on the beach today but I stuck it out for 5 hrs.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Attachments

• 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 271
Chain is most likely the same... best thing to do is acid test it... still a nice find :)

If you did the stone test and it passed for 14K then you file a notch in one of the links and look at it through a loop to see if you can see a different base metal.If it looks the same then put a drop of test acid directly on the groove you filed and see if there is a reaction ( turn green) if not it should be gold. I see a mark in the first link,did you do this already? If you look on youtube you can find videos on how to test gold if you want. Or just cut the junk latch off and bring it to a jeweler and see what he says. I hope it's gold. HH Joe

Thanks Tom. I did test it. The chain is very thin. I scratched it on the test stone. That's probably what shows in the picture. It's not going to be easy to file the links but I'll give it a try.

It wasn't that bad out there Terry. 2 weeks ago you could hardly stand up with the wind whipping. I always seem to go out in these high wind conditions. I'm beginning to like it. Three other people braved the wind today so I'm not the only crazy one, but they weren't out as long as I was.

Update

I filed into the chain and tested with the test kit. It started bubbling and turned green. I guess it has to be brass or something as a base metal. Oh well. Better luck next time. It was only 2.4 grams so it wouldn't have been worth much.

Back
Top Bottom