Lead pellet detector?

TommyV

Hey members, nOOb here, my wife is a falconer and received some dove breasts that were shot. She wants to feed them to her hawk, but needs to know if there is any lead shot in them. Is there a reasonably priced detector out there that can do this? Thanks in advance.

Probably your best low cost option would be the Tesoro Compadre. I'm not sure that those $50 detectors would detect a lead pellet, but I know the Compadre can.

I would suggest a cheap probe but I have never used one so I'm not sure they would detect a lead pellet either.

Last edited:
Maybe a handheld pinpointer would be enough, since the meat on a dove is not that thick. Garrett Pro-pointer has a side scan function which should work. Be easier to handle than a full size detector. Other cheaper pinpointers might work also.

Thanks guys,

We have a Bounty Hunter pin pointer, but it appears that you have to be very close to the object to have it react. I was hoping for something that I could just pass over the breast and have it react. The Compadre might be an option.

Rather than a pin pointer, what you'd probably want is a metal detecting wand, like they use at airports to "pat you down" with, if you trigger the main detector when you walk through it.

Should be steel shot anyway. They outlawed lead shot pellets at least here they did. For what its worth. Dutch

Rather than a pin pointer, what you'd probably want is a metal detecting wand, like they use at airports to "pat you down" with, if you trigger the main detector when you walk through it.
I had thought of one of those, but I'm not sure how little of an object they can detect. But, like Bazetech said, if they are steel, we don't have to worry about it. I'll check into that. Thanks.

You could just take the dove to your local clinic, pay about $45 and have the entire lot xrayed all at once.

Back
Top Bottom