Detector for a child

greyexpectations

My soon-to-be 7 yr. old daughter has been asking for a metal detector and I would appreciate any recommendations you may have. It will need to be lightweight and not too tall (or adjustable). I have seen some at Walmart and Radio Shack for under $60. Are these okay detectors? Or are they a waste of money? I don't want to spend more than $100, but I also don't want a piece of junk that will be hard to use (or won't really work).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I'd go for a used machine, some are as good as new.
I'm sure a Garrett 150 or 250 would be in your price range, for a used machine.
They are light and easy to use, and if your daughter decides she isn't interested, you still have a good machine.

Radio Shack is selling out their detector inventory at 70% off. I started with a Discovery 1000 5 years ago and had a blast with it. Cheaper machines will not work in highly mineralized soil most of the time, including my 1st machine. I wound up using it at the beach in dry sand. Their top of the line Discovery 3300 is selling for $112.00. A Garret Ace 250 is a GREAT machine for the money, but is a tad over $ 200. I bought one for my nephew who is 8.

If you can get the 3300, go for it! Only $112 and easy to learn. Good luck!

I just went to Radio Shack.com and the 3300 is $299.99. Where did you find it for $112.00?

BTW - Thank you to everyone who responded.

greyexpectations said:
I just went to Radio Shack.com and the 3300 is $299.99.  Where did you find it for $112.00?

BTW - Thank you to everyone who responded.
$299.99 is their list price but it's sale price is $112  Most shacks are sold out of the detector,but up where I live there are very very few folks who detect,so I called my radio shack up here and they had one.Since in my opinion most workers at radio shacks don't have a clue,you have to tell them it is on sale so they will know.Anyways I tried out the 3300 for about 20 minutes and couldn't wait to get it back in the box to take back to the store. In my opinion the $112 price of the detector is about $100 too much for it.No offense to the people that use and like the 3300 maybe the one I got was a dud! You would have a good detector if you got the Ace 150 for about $150 new. Or you can't go wrong with a Ace 250 or a White's Prizm II used in good shape. My dauhter was about 7 also when she started detecting with dad & mom, a great family hobby. Steve.

I have a Prizm II used with two search coils for 200.00 if you're interested. :grin:

I just came back from my local Radio Shack store (in N. California) and I was able to buy the Discovery 3300 for $99.97, plus sales tax. It was the last one they had in stock.

I hope it works well for her.

Back
Top Bottom